need advice with dryer hook up

Old 09-28-08, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need advice with dryer hook up

I've done this before but never had this problem... From panel, using a 30A Sqr-D breaker, I ran 10/3 (+ ground wire) to a 30A 125/250VAC; 3-pole, 3 wire dryer outlet. When I flip on the breaker, it trips. In the outlet box, there is no place to attach the bare ground, only the white and the two power wires (black and red), so I just left the ground wire unattached in the outlet box. Should that have been attached and could that be my problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-08, 06:01 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Ground

Is the ground wire making contact with the black or red wire?

Old 09-28-08, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Is the ground wire making contact with the black or red wire?
No and I also checked to see if the wire was pinched anyplace and it was not.

Old 09-28-08, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by ABN1970 View Post
I've done this before but never had this problem... From panel, using a 30A Sqr-D breaker, I ran 10/3 (+ ground wire) to a 30A 125/250VAC; 3-pole, 3 wire dryer outlet. When I flip on the breaker, it trips. In the outlet box, there is no place to attach the bare ground, only the white and the two power wires (black and red), so I just left the ground wire unattached in the outlet box. Should that have been attached and could that be my problem?
First your using the wrong receptacle you need a 4 wire dryer receptacle....for code compliantcy. If the dryer is equiped with a 3 wire power cord you need to change that to a 4 wire also. Follow the instructions for the dryer as this requires removing the neutral bond to the chassis of the dryer ...quite simple to do.

Now the above has nothing to do with your problem nor does not having the equipment ground wire connected as I am assuming you are tripping the breaker without the dryer plugged in. One of the most common causes is tightening the cable clamp at the receptacle or panel box so tight that it breaks the jacket and insulation of a wire(s) creating a fault and the breaker trips. I would check the wire around those clamps.
But somewhere you have a fault.

Old 09-29-08, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Bruto View Post
First your using the wrong receptacle you need a 4 wire dryer receptacle....for code compliantcy. If the dryer is equiped with a 3 wire power cord you need to change that to a 4 wire also. Follow the instructions for the dryer as this requires removing the neutral bond to the chassis of the dryer ...quite simple to do.

Now the above has nothing to do with your problem nor does not having the equipment ground wire connected as I am assuming you are tripping the breaker without the dryer plugged in. One of the most common causes is tightening the cable clamp at the receptacle or panel box so tight that it breaks the jacket and insulation of a wire(s) creating a fault and the breaker trips. I would check the wire around those clamps.
But somewhere you have a fault.
What a dum-dum I am... I'll have to go back out to my apartments to check on that tomorrow but now that you mention it, I used a cordless DeWalt when I did the outlet hook up. I'm sure I pinched the wires at that point! Thanks for the up-date on code... I'll change that to a 4 wire ASAP. It bugged me all night as to why that breaker was tripping. I'm just happy it wasn't something more serrious.

Thanks for the help Bro.