Need to add GFI's to Existing GFI Loop

Old 09-28-08, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to add GFI's to Existing GFI Loop

I have an existing 20 amp GFI circuit that runs from the panel to an outlet in the garage that contains the test/reset button for the circuit. It then feeds three other outlets, all of which are on the outside of the house. The only one of these plugs that is used regularly feeds low-voltage landscape lighting in the front yard. The rest are only used to run lawn and garden equipment as needed. I would like to add two more GFI outlets to this loop in the laundry room, which is adjacent to the garage. These plugs would not be used regularly and neither would service the washer, which is on it's own circuit. Would adding these outlets violate code? If not, can they just be added to the string by connecting from the garage outlet to the new outlets and then completing the circuit? I have added outlets to circuits before but I have never messed with GFI outlets and, while they don't seem too complicated, I don't want to violate code or make any mistakes. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by suitcase; 09-29-08 at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-08, 04:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If the circuit is GFCI from a breaker in the panel you don't need any other GFCI receptacles in the line, as they are protected at the panel. Now, if this is a regular breaker and you have one GFCI with the downline receptacles protected on the load side of the receptacle, then they are protected as well. You won't be violating code to add the GFCI receptacles, but what a PITA when they begin tripping. One will trip, you reset it, and during the resetting process the one behind it trips because it detects a difference across the line. Just extend the last receptacle (or one closest to the location to the room) to the adjacent room where it will be protected by the GFCI in the garage.