Main Disconnect Bonding and Grounding

Old 09-29-08, 08:59 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bonding and Grounding

Hi,
I have a similar situation in that my main panel is 60 feet from the entry and meter socket. I am installing a firemans disconnect switch at that point, and I am running 4 wire to the main breaker panel.

My question concerns grounding and bonding; I am installing 2 ground rods at the disconnect switch per code.

Can the bonding to the cold water line run from the panel or must it also run to the firemans switch?

Due to having 4 wires running from the disconnect and due to having the neutrals and grounds isolated in the main panel, I think that the bonding can run from the panel. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-08, 02:13 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
The grounding electrode conductor should run from your disconnect switch to the cold water line. The connection to the cold water entrance is technically the same as the ground rods -- they are both forms of electrodes. The only difference is that code mandates a connection to the water service entrance whereas rods are often optional. This wire should be #4 copper for a 200A service.

Note that an outside disconnect near the meter is only required if the service entrance conductors run through the house to get to the main panel. If the cable or conduit runs on the outside of the building then pokes through the wall into the main panel, an external disconnect is not required.