Sub Panel in Garage

Old 09-30-08, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sub Panel in Garage

Hello,
I have been reading the forum but I have additional questions about sub panels.
I currently have a 200 amp main panel. I have no more room in the main panel and need a sub panel. I am planning on running 240v hot tub that is about 70 feet from the sub panel. I will be installing a 125 amp lug ( non breaker) sub panel.
My questions are
1. 4awg from main to sub panel?
2. What size breaker from main to sub panel?
3. 6awg for 70 foot run to hot tub?
4. How many circuits can i put in sub panel with the hot tub?
5. Hot tub is on 50 amp breaker?

I appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-08, 12:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by brantgator View Post
I currently have a 200 amp main panel. I have no more room in the main panel and need a sub panel.
Can your main panel accept tandem breakers? How many slots does it have? What other major electrical loads do you have (a/c, range, heat pump, etc)? How many square feet is the house?

I am planning on running 240v hot tub that is about 70 feet from the sub panel. I will be installing a 125 amp lug ( non breaker) sub panel.
Right next to the main panel, I assume?

1. 4awg from main to sub panel?
2. What size breaker from main to sub panel?
These two go together. How much power do you need in the subpanel? Copper 4 AWG is good for up to 90A as a subpanel feeder. For the full 125A, you would need #1 copper.

3. 6awg for 70 foot run to hot tub?
Typically #6,#6,#6,#10 (black,red,white,green) in 1" PVC conduit is the correct circuit for a spa; although this can vary based on the electrical requirements of the spa. Do you have those handy or a make/model to look them up? Article 680 of the code is very strict about what type of wire can be used, so be careful.

4. How many circuits can i put in sub panel with the hot tub?
Depends on the size of the panel, what other loads, lots of things. Generally, the best practice is to put your biggest loads in the main panel. If I was doing this, I would run the spa circuit from the main panel and move some other lighting or general-purpose circuits over to the sub to make room.

5. Hot tub is on 50 amp breaker?
The 50A double-pole is the most common, but not always the case. Some spas use a 40A, 60A or a 20A & a 30A (tiger/hotsprings).

Old 09-30-08, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have some answers

Can your main panel accept tandem breakers? How many slots does it have? What other major electrical loads do you have (a/c, range, heat pump, etc)? How many square feet is the house?

I am not sure what tandem breakers are. I have no slots available in the main panel but it is a 20 breaker box. The house is roughly 2500. The main box has A/C, Range, Gas heater, gas water heater, Dryer as the major load takers.

The sub panel will be located right next to the main panel.

These two go together. How much power do you need in the subpanel? Copper 4 AWG is good for up to 90A as a subpanel feeder. For the full 125A, you would need #1 copper.

I am not sure how much power I need. I know that the only thing currently planned in the sub panel is the hot tub. There is always room for expansion for lighting circuits or something down the road.

Typically #6,#6,#6,#10 (black,red,white,green) in 1" PVC conduit is the correct circuit for a spa; although this can vary based on the electrical requirements of the spa. Do you have those handy or a make/model to look them up? Article 680 of the code is very strict about what type of wire can be used, so be careful.

The electrical requirements on the pump say 120/240. The gentelman I bought the hot tub from had a 50 amp breaker at the spa on it.

Depends on the size of the panel, what other loads, lots of things. Generally, the best practice is to put your biggest loads in the main panel. If I was doing this, I would run the spa circuit from the main panel and move some other lighting or general-purpose circuits over to the sub to make room.

Okay so putting the spa on the main and moving circuits should not be to hard. The biggest problem I have is what size breaker in the main panel for the sub panel if I want to use the total sub panel amperage.

Old 10-01-08, 08:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by brantgator View Post
I am not sure what tandem breakers are. I have no slots available in the main panel but it is a 20 breaker box.
Tandem breakers are "skinny" breakers which can fit two in one slot. Many panels can use this type of breaker to make more room which would eliminate the need for a subpanel. With 20 spaces in your panel, you may be able to use tandems. Do you have a make and model of the panel with approximate age?

The biggest problem I have is what size breaker in the main panel for the sub panel if I want to use the total sub panel amperage.
If you need to go with the subpanel route and want the full 125A to the subpanel you would use a 125A breaker in the main panel, and run three #1 copper THHN wires for hot, hot, neutral and #6 bare or green copper wire ground through a 1-1/2" conduit nipple between the panels.