anyone know what these are?

Old 09-30-08, 05:39 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
anyone know what these are?

I have been asking questions about the wiring in the garage, but I have this other area that someone suggests is electrical in nature.. (these are about the size of the aluminum wire seen in the garage sub panel)

I have 3 in ground access panels that are marked irrigation, but have these things in them.. one is directly below the main panel & meter on the pole at the meter loop. One is near the house (on the side roughly where the breaker panel is).
and one is near the front gate, about 175 ft from the house and 250 from the meter.

Anyone know what these are?
side of the house, notice the conduit in the lower left with 3 cables in it.

at the meter loop pole

Sam

Old 09-30-08, 05:55 PM
R
Those are handholes with high voltage wiring. Be careful messing with them.

You would normally see this near a power company transformer, looks like sombody rigged the wiring up and also used mis marked handholes

I would have connections checked by an electrician and also have boxes replaced with the proper type, they will also be marked " ELECTRIC "

Old 09-30-08, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The connectors look like the "Polaris" ones mentioned in the other thread. To me, they do not look like the direct burial kind. Granted, they are not really in the ground but I would think they will get rained/very wet in that kind of box. Also the PVC conduit does not have a connector and bushing on it. Looks to me like the wire is #4 or larger and code requires them. This does not look like a pro did it, but I think we knew that already. That box would not be UL listed for electrical installations and would not pass any electrical inspections (if the inspector saw it)

Old 09-30-08, 08:36 PM
S
Originally Posted by rich3236
Those are handholes with high voltage wiring. Be careful messing with them.

You would normally see this near a power company transformer, looks like somebody rigged the wiring up and also used mis marked handholes

I would have connections checked by an electrician and also have boxes replaced with the proper type, they will also be marked " ELECTRIC "
thanks to both of you.. glad I didn't stick my hands down in there..

This is out in the country and as someone mentioned to me before, they do things different out here..

I'll get someone to come look at all this..
never a dull moment.

Sam

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: