help, need honest answer

Old 09-30-08, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help, need honest answer

one of the breaker boxes was submerged under salt water during Hurricane Ike. How much should i expect to pay an electrician to either replace, repair and/or inspect the wiring before turning on the power? I think I am being price gouged by nearby electricians.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-08, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help!

GI2
Originally Posted by jomask View Post
one of the breaker boxes was submerged under salt water during Hurricane Ike. How much should i expect to pay an electrician to either replace, repair and/or inspect the wiring before turning on the power? I think I am being price gouged by nearby electricians.
...............................................................................................................................................................

Old 09-30-08, 01:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
There are a lot of factors that contribute to the price, one of which is local demand for labor and supplies. The other major factor is the size and location of the service. Any electrical equipment submerged in salt water must be completely replaced. Some of the wires may be able to be reused depending on the particular type of wire insulation, although I do not know the exact protocol for salt water submersion. A main panel replacement could easily exceed $2,000; but it would be impossible to get any more precise than that without knowing all of the factors.

Do you have any written quotes which describe the work to be performed and the price that we could help you to decipher or compare with other quotes?

Old 09-30-08, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Here is some info from NEMA regarding electrical equipment the has been submerged.

http://www.nema.org/media/pr/20080917a.cfm