circuits layout

Old 10-05-08, 10:13 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
circuits layout

please look over this circuit layout for my errors.

i am open for any suggestions especially to condense. 270 amps before the 240 circuits go in can't be normal. i have not done a load calculation. it is a 1500sq ft ranch. all electric. heat pump(likely electric backup, no info yet), water well pump, water heater, dryer and stove to add here yet that i can think of.

at any rate i am really just looking for a lookover of what i have down below right now.

1) Kitchen counter circuit #1: { 1 counter receptacle, 1 pantry receptacle, 3 nook receptacles } (20A) GFCI

2) Kitchen counter circuit #2: {1 counter receptacle, 5 dining room receptacles} (20A) GFCI

3) Microwave: own home run (15A)

4) Fridge: own home run (15A)

5) Dishwasher: own home run (15A)

6) Lites: bed #1&2 , bath #1&2 , kitchen, halls, stairwell, smokies.{8 cans, 8 overheads, 2 vanity, 7 smokies}(15A) AFCI

7) Lites: living, dining, basement {10 cans, 9 fluorescent} (15A)

8) Lites: outdoor lites {11 pier,wall and overhead lites, 3 spots} (15A)

9) Bath #1 & 2 receptacles {two receptacles in each. 4 total} (20A) GFCI

10) Garage receptacles {10 with 2 serving openers} (20A) GFCI

11) Unfinished basement receptacles {7 with 1 serving washer} (20A) GFCI

12) Outside receptacles {8} (20A) GFCI

13) Bedrooms #1 & 2 receptacles { 10 } (20A) AFCI

14) Living, halls receptacles { 8 } (15A) note: hardwood, no vacuum

Old 10-05-08, 10:34 AM
G
circuit

All your appliances and individual receptacles are not additive. The NEC has a specific calculation for single family homes.
I suggest you get with a competant electrician who can size up the service and lay out your circuits according to rooms and layout. If you show a floor I plan and list of appliances I can give you a pretty idea, I have been doing this for about 30years.
Hope this helps.
Greg

Old 10-05-08, 11:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
Like Greg alluded to adding the breaker sizes will not give you an accurate servce size.

It also seems like you are loading some of the lighting circuits too heavily.

The laundry receptacle cannot service other parts of the house. It is dedicated for the laundry only.

If you area has adopted the 2008 Code all the 120 volt circuits except for the kitchen and bath receptacles will need AFCI protection.

Old 10-05-08, 01:32 PM
I
thank you for the responses.

i ran the lights for max watt and didnt go over 1800.

i will correct the laundry area receptacle.

i understand what you are saying about the amp adding, but i still will be over 80% on a 200A box after the 240 circuits. i thought 200A was pretty standard and i have less than 2000 sq. ft. home, so i figured i was really off somewhere. not that i won't go with a bigger service. just struck me as odd.

again i would appreciate any responses/ideas.

thanks.

Old 10-05-08, 02:17 PM
D
I ran your loads on our spreadsheet that we use for permitting and came up with 114 amps, including 10kW for the heat, the sprinkler pump, well pump, etc.
I sent you a PM with my email address and will forward a copy if you reply.

Old 10-05-08, 04:53 PM
G
Your the man Dez, I figured someone would come along with a spread sheet for this one. Doing it with paper and pencil would mean a refresher. Course update next week.

Old 10-06-08, 02:42 PM
I
dezwit, thank you much for taking the time to spreadsheet my load calculation. really appreiate it.

so i need some clarification... am i to understand that as long as my amp calculation (in this case 120) is under 200A ( the boxes main breaker size) that it doesnt matter if i fill the box with breakers adding up to 900A(exaggerated to make point) as long as the load calculation and all circuits are sized properly...

the reason i'm asking for clarity here is that somewhere along the way i logged in my mind that a breaker box could not be filled over 80% of its main breakers amp rating per leg. i.e. in the case of a 200A main, each legs breakers could not add up to over 160 amps. for a total breaker count of 320 amps.

Old 10-06-08, 03:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
The limitation you may be thinking of might be for the breaker rating attached to the same buss fingers. Some want less than 125 amps per buss connection, ie, 2 60 amp breakers could attach to the same buss fingers, but a 60 and a 70 could not.

Using your exagerated example show how breaker rating do no account for diversity of loads and how certain loads like AC and heat are not used at the same time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: