hot tub ?

Old 10-07-08, 08:18 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hot tub ?

Ok have a few questions regarding installing electrical for a hot tub. Ive done tons of electrical before including 220 but wanna make sure this is done right.

I live in suburbs of chicago.

There is conduit piped from my breaker box to underneath my deck where it is terminated into an elbow/wire pulling piece. No wire is ran at all.

Hot tub requires 50amp so what size wire woudl I wanna run, I plan on using stranded wire in the conduit. How many wires do I run, obviouslly 2 hot wires, and a neutral, do i also run a dedicated ground even though its in conduit. Run is under 50 feet

From the elbow under my deck which is enclosed, meaning I have to remove boards to gain access underneath. I plan on having a gfci shutoff type switch on the side of the deck about 5 feet away from the hot tub which will be installed next to the deck. From the elbow to the gfci cut off switch, do I have to be in conduit or can I be in that flexiable pvc type stuff.

Also the cutoff switch near the hot tub what exactly do i want, I assume it needs to be GFCI

TIA

Old 10-07-08, 08:39 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by PentaVolvo View Post
There is conduit piped from my breaker box to underneath my deck where it is terminated into an elbow/wire pulling piece. No wire is ran at all.
Do you know what size conduit this is? You need a minimum of 3/4" pipe for a 50A tub circuit.

Hot tub requires 50amp so what size wire woudl I wanna run, I plan on using stranded wire in the conduit.
You would run #6 copper THHN/THWN conductors in colors black, red and white; and a #10 copper THWN conductor in green. The tub requires a green copper ground wire.

I plan on having a gfci shutoff type switch on the side of the deck about 5 feet away from the hot tub which will be installed next to the deck.
The distance from the rim of the tub to the disconnect must be 5' or greater, within line-of-sight of the tub.

From the elbow to the gfci cut off switch, do I have to be in conduit or can I be in that flexiable pvc type stuff.
It needs to be in rigid conduit (plastic or metal). Liquidtight flexible conduit may only be used for the last 6' of connection to the tub itself.

Also the cutoff switch near the hot tub what exactly do i want, I assume it needs to be GFCI
The GFCI disconnect panels are the easiest method of providing both GFCI protection and the required service disconnect at the tub location. You can also use a GFCI breaker in the main panel and a standard "air-conditioner" style disconnect at the tub location.

Old 10-07-08, 08:44 PM
P
thanks for ur reply

the conduit is in fact 3/4"

is one method prefered over the other as far as gfci at the hottube, or in the panel

i realize it must be over 5 feet from the rim of tub, but how far away is too far

if the gfci is in the panel does the outside disconnect need to be fused

TIA

Old 10-07-08, 09:13 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
is one method prefered over the other as far as gfci at the hottube, or in the panel
Depends on the situation really. Often the GFCI disconnect box is cheaper because of the high price on double-pole 50A GFCI breakers for some brands.

i realize it must be over 5 feet from the rim of tub, but how far away is too far
NEC doesn't specify a maximum, but many local codes do enforce a maximum. I try not to exceed 10-15'.

if the gfci is in the panel does the outside disconnect need to be fused
No, the disconnect does not need to be fused.

Old 10-08-08, 09:41 PM
P
next question and thanks for all the help

if i recall my elbow points downward under my deck, well i would run my conduit alongside the bottom of my deck to my cutoff box. is it ok to turn the elbow so it is horizontal so that i dont have my conduit exiting the bottom which would force me to loop it back up.

also how often does the conduit have to be secured to the joists on the deck

final question for my conduit outside do i need to use special fittings

thanks

Old 10-09-08, 08:10 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
What kind of conduit do you have? PVC, thinwall metal (EMT), or threaded steel rigid pipe?

Is there any way you could post a photo of the elbow in question under the deck? You can upload the photo to a sharing site like photobucket or flickr and give us the link to see it.

Old 10-09-08, 08:58 AM
P
sorry shoulda mentioned its EMT to the elbow and I will be using EMT to go to the disconnect. Im not there to grab a picture but its one of these.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...93e4b5_100.jpg

im pretty sure. it comes out directly under the deck and its pointing downward which obviouslly does me no good cause im not takin the conduit under ground

my other question, i also read somehwere I must have a recepticle near the hottub within 10-20 feet or something liek that, is this true can u elaborate

also some of these gfci disconnect boxes also include a 15amp break for outlets lighting etc, i take it that is ok to have

Last edited by PentaVolvo; 10-09-08 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-09-08, 01:13 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
is it ok to turn the elbow so it is horizontal so that i dont have my conduit exiting the bottom which would force me to loop it back up.
What you have is called an LB fitting, you should be able to turn it 90 to horizontal. The conduit fittings should be threaded or pressure fit and you should be able to turn it.

also how often does the conduit have to be secured to the joists on the deck
EMT needs to be fastened every 10' and within 3' of boxes or pull points.

final question for my conduit outside do i need to use special fittings
Yes. Outside EMT needs to use the compression fittings which have a collar and threaded nut. You can't use the set-screw style EMT connectors.

my other question, i also read somehwere I must have a recepticle near the hottub within 10-20 feet or something liek that, is this true can u elaborate
Yes, you need a 120V GFCI general-purpose receptacle more than 10' but less than 20' from the tub. Some of the hot tub disconnect panels have this receptacle built-in which is an easy way to provide it if you do not already have a receptacle in this area.

Old 11-13-08, 06:08 PM
P
really wanted to thank you guys for posting and helping got it done 2 weeks ago and passed inspection with flying colors

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: