Generator Hook Up to House

Old 10-08-08, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generator Hook Up to House

Hello and thanks for your suggestions and advice. I would like to set a 30 amp receptical outside for the generator to plug into. Have this line backfeed into the panel box (with the main breaker off), flip all other breakers off and only have 1 or 2 circuits open for lights, fans, small tv, etc. Nothing heavy like the well, ac., etc. I have a security light on the utility pole outside which would notify me of power back on. I'll just have to wait till dark to find out ! Thanks again for the advice. Let's have a great day and God Bless America.......

Old 10-08-08, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 53 Posts
You need a dedicated safety device to prevent backfeed in the event the main breaker is flipped on while on generator power. This can be a simple isolation switch or a more complex siwtch box. Here are examples:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....r-switches.php

Here's some additional reading material:

http://www.smps.us/transferswitch.html

Old 10-08-08, 08:49 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Another common backfeed prevention device is an interlock kit, which is a set of levers and sliders which mount to the panel and only allow the main or the generator to be active, but not both. Most of the major manufacturers produce them for their panels, and there are also aftermarket kits such as Interlock Kit.

The outside receptacle to plug in the generator should actually be an inlet (instead of an outlet), so you don't have to use a male-male suicide cord. The interlock site also has some examples of inlet boxes, although their prices are too high on that item.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: