Breaker hum after installing fluorescent lights

Old 10-10-08, 11:48 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker hum after installing fluorescent lights

I just installed fluorescent lights with the 110 plugs and pull chains that are T8 from Home Depot.

Now in my subpanel in the garage, when I turn on each light I hear a hum in the 20A breaker, which gets progressively louder with each light that goes on. I have 5 lights, so with all five lit, the breaker hum is loudest.

The lights are the only things that are connected to that circuit breaker.

Does anyone have any ideas on what causes this hum in circuit breaker?

And, what can I do to correct this?

Old 10-13-08, 09:40 AM
T
I'm guessing that the existing circuit breaker is not rated for High Intensity Discharge light fixtures. See if there's anything on the circuit breaker that says it's rated for HID lights.

If not, go buy one that is HID rated.

Old 10-14-08, 06:08 PM
W
Buzzing Breaker

Thank you for informing me of this. I never had heard about a special type before. I have to go back to HD and get more supplies, and will check since that is where I bought the breakers and lights.

Old 10-17-08, 05:29 PM
W
Angry Breaker hum after installing fluorescent lights

We went back to Home Depot, and they never heard of those types of breakers, so they said to go to the local electrical shop which is a Siemans dealer.

At the electrical store, he too had never heard of the HID breaker. He said that he believes it is a "Harmonics Problem".

So, we are puzzled on the answer, since the lights are only fluorescent shop lights, which is no high intensity lighting.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Old 10-17-08, 05:37 PM
I too have not heard of an HID breaker. harmonics makes sense. If i can ask a question how old is your house? (this should tell us how your house is wired) thus providing us with possible grounding issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: