Installing PVC Conduit

Old 10-10-08, 06:13 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing PVC Conduit

When assembling 1" PVC conduit for running 3#6 and 1#10, is it necessary to use the conduit inside the attic or is it OK to use it only where it exits the house and connects to the main and subpanels?

Old 10-10-08, 06:42 PM
B
When using any wire other than "romex" is has to be protected by a raceway, conduit, etc. Why not just run the length in 6/3 w ground?

B

Old 10-10-08, 06:55 PM
B
I thought it might be easier to run the individual wires thru conduit versus 6/3 and possibly cost less. Sounds like if I go with 6/3 I dont need the conduit inside the attic.

Old 10-10-08, 08:13 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Individual wires must always run in conduit. If this circuit is for a hot tub, the interior portion of the run may be made with #6/3g NM-B Romex cable, but you must transition to individual conductors in conduit when you exit the house.

Personally, I prefer to maintain the conduit raceway for the entire circuit whenever possible, but you are allowed to use the cable if you choose to.

Old 10-11-08, 07:19 AM
B
Thanks for the help.Can someone tell me why you cant run the romex inside the conduit when exiting the house?

Old 10-11-08, 10:13 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your ground wire has to have it's own insulation jacket plus your wire run on the outside has to be water proof.

Romex in conduit is water proof but doesn't have the ground insulated. UF-B alone is water proof but doesn't have it's ground insulated. MC or AC has the ground insulated but isn't water proof. The only way you can satisfy code is to run THHN or THWN in conduit (for the outside portion of the run).

I'm with Ben. If at all possible, it's best to run THHN the entire way to your disconnect outside. No breaks, no splices, no resistance, no point of failure. I'll assume that's why he does it anyway.

EDIT- I saw "hot tub" earlier and assumed that's what your running. What are you feeding BTW?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: