Ground main panel

Old 10-12-08, 09:11 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ground main panel

If adding a second grounding rod to an existing panel the first runs to the ground bar in the panel I was thinking about just running the new one to the neutral bar in panel each having there own wire. The main panel is bonded so would that be ok or do both rods need to be tied together as 1

Old 10-12-08, 10:37 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
When installing a second ground rod, you can just connect it to the first rod using another clamp on the first rod.

Old 10-12-08, 09:28 PM
C
i do not have my 2008 code by my side but i believe by the 2005 code you must have an unbroken ground wire going from the ground bar in the panel to the ground points ex. water pipe and through the first ground rod and end at the last ground rod and i believe the footage that the ground rods has to be about 5 to 6 feet apart.

just curious why do you want to add another ground rod? is something acting funky in your house or you just hear that other people have two and you want one? just curious.

Also do you have a main breaker/disconnect outside? if you do not your ground bar and neutral bar shoulod be interconnected inside the panel anyway and it does not matter which bar you bring the ground wire to.

Old 10-12-08, 10:14 PM
D
The only reason you would need a second ground rod at the panel is if the resistance from the current ground is to high and not providing a proper ground. With a ground rod and a cold water bond you should have an adequate grounding system.

Where is this second panel you want a second ground rod located? Or are we talking about the main panel?

Last edited by Duhandyman; 10-12-08 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-13-08, 03:33 PM
B
There is nothing wrong just got this old house and all the plumbing was redone with pvc and it was grounded to a old grounding rod with that old cloth covered wire I did not know how long the old grounding rod was so I just wanted to make sure house is properly grounded this is the main and only panel also neutral and ground are tied together in box so I just drove a new 8 foot rod and ran new wire to the neutral bar didnít think it mattered if it went to neutral or ground since they are bonded together just left the old rod and wire alone tied to ground in breaker box thanks in advance for everybodyís help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: