GFCI not working

Old 10-12-08, 06:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI not working

I have two GFCI outlets in our bathroom but they are connected to the same trip switch in the next room. We were using a vacuum cleaner and it tripped, but now the outlets don't work even after resetting the GFCI controller. I've checked the main circuit breakers and everything looks ok except I still don't have any power coming from those two outlets. Could something be wrong with the GFCI controller? I was going to just take out the old controller and and replace it. Is there a way to test it?

The same vacuum was tripping the the main circuit breaker in another part of the house- which sounds to me something is wrong with the vacuum. Is there a way to check that?

Thanks,

Old 10-12-08, 07:13 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
It sounds to me like the vacuum has caused a connection to open up. It is often the white wire, but it can be a black wire too. The solution to the problem is to open up all of the receptacles, switches and light fixtures on the affected circuit and check for good connections. Move any backstabbed wires on receptacles to the adjacent screw terminals. Check all wirenut connections for tightness. Look for any burnt wires and repair or replace any that you find in that condition.

The loose or broken wire is almost always at the first non-working or last working receptacle on the circuit, so that is the best place to start your search.

Old 10-12-08, 07:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Having two GFCI's on the same circuit, if one is downline (load) from the other, there will be nuisance trips, and will drive you crazy. Have you reset both GFCI's? If one is downline of the other one, you can safely remove the downline one if it is fed from the load side of the first GFCI.
Definitely have your vacuum checked out.
And, yes, GFCI's can go bad, so replacing it won't hurt, especially if it has age on it.

Old 10-12-08, 07:16 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
They key words in your post are "vacuum cleaner". Vacuum cleaners are high-amperage appliances that are famous for causing backstab connections on receptacles to fail. The neutral (white wire) is the most common one to fail (not sure why).

It has been written here many times how to go about finding an open neutral. But it involves opening up every single box on the circuit, working or not working. As long as you have the box open, move the wires from the backstab (poked into a hole) to the adjacent screw.

There is also a chance that your vacuum cleaner caused the GFCI receptacle itself to fail. So you could try replacing that.

Turn off the circuit breaker and test every light and receptacle in your house to make a comprehensive list of everything on that circuit before you begin.

If you vacuum cleaner is tripping the main breaker, then the vacuum cleaner is to be strongly suspected, especially if nothing else is tripping this breaker. When in doubt, play it safe and buy a new vacuum cleaner.

Old 10-20-08, 08:17 AM
J
So i tried to replace the GFCI, but it didn't work. I just noticed I think all the bathroom outlets are connected to the same GFCI (They all have a GFCI sticker on them, but they don't have the test/reset button on them) and i just realized they are all not working. If there is a broken wire on one outlet, would it make all the outlets not work? I have a voltmeter, and I can tell there is current going into the GFCI that I replaced, but i still don't have power coming out of any of the outlets.

I am a novice at electrical work, so from what I understand from you guys, my next step is to take each outlet that isn't working out and check the wires?

Old 10-20-08, 08:57 AM
B
Given what you described, I think the problem is at your GFCI receptacle. Make sure you connect the power (Black?) into Line Load slot. I just replaced mine with new GFCI and working fine. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: