Four way switch confusion

Old 10-17-08, 11:09 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Four way switch confusion

I just energized a four-way light and it isn't working quite right.

Here is how I have it wired: Power from the source first goes through a three-way and then through a four-way and from there through the light and back to a second three-way where the circuit ends.

Here is what happens: When I turn the light on with the first three way (where the power comes in), the four-way switch is able to turn the light on and off. When I turn the light on from the terminal three-way, the four way switch only makes the light blink, but does not turn it off.

AND: when the light is off the four-way cannot turn it on.

I was very careful to follow the wiring diagram in Sunset's "Complete Home Wiring", with one exception (and maybe this is where I went wrong): They show a **second** four-way in their example diagram, located between the light and the terminal three-way. I thought I understood that only ONE four-way switch was needed in a four-way circuit, so I left this one out and instead used a four-way between the initial three-way and the light. (Perhaps my single four-way needed to be on this side of the light instead of the other side....?) I can go back and add an additional four-way in between the light and the final three-way (to make my wiring configuration match Sunset's example) if you think that will solve the problem. But I wanted other opinions before I tried that.

ALSO: is it ok for me to use the light (as screwy as it is) and leave the circuit energized till I can get it fixed over the weekend?

Thanks, as always.

Old 10-17-08, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
In order to see if this can work as wired you will need to tell the quantities and colors of wires at the switches and the light. You may not have enough conductors between the 3w and the light.

With that said it is easier to run power to 3w S1 to 4w to 3w S2 to light.

Old 10-17-08, 12:06 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks,

I started to double check everything to give you the details and got it figured out.

I was very careful to wire according to the diagram, with one exception. I wired the four way as if it were located on the other side of the light.

I rewired it and it works fine now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: