Wiring a New Garbage Disposal

Old 10-20-08, 04:46 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a New Garbage Disposal

Here is the Situation:

I just moved into a new home and there is no garbage disposal (no receptacle under sink either). To be honest I think it was overlooked during construction as most new homes have garbage disposals. I want to add one, but have a wiring dilemma. I was thinking of tapping into the Dishwasher, but it is on a dedicated 15A circuit. I don't think this will be sufficient for a D/W and Garbage Disposal (although the current D/W only draws 6.2 amps). Also, I don't think code allows tapping into countertop receptacles even though they are not GFCI. The basement of my home is unfinished; however, running a new circuit will not be easy as the breaker box is in the garage which is all sheet rocked. What do you think is the best wiring method given the circumstances?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 10-20-08, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 287 Posts
I have to disagree that most new homes have garbage disposals. The electrical contractor will install one only if told to put one in. You may be in luck though. If you open the outlet for the dishwasher there may be another wire there for a multi wire circuit. You will see a red wire not connected to anything. If not, then taping off the dishwasher circuit would be the easiest. As you pointed out the dishwasher will only draw half of your circuit load, and your disposal will only run for a minute or so, so you should be fine. You will need to install a switch of some kind. They do make pneumatic switches that would fit your application very well. You should find them by the garbage disposals in your home center.

Old 10-20-08, 07:52 PM
J
If you do decide to share the circuit with the dishwasher, resist the urge to buy the big macho disposal. Settle for one of the smaller ones.

Old 10-20-08, 07:59 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
A 1/2 HP disposal should be no problem sharing a 15A circuit with a 6.2A dishwasher.

Old 10-21-08, 12:22 PM
N
I was kind of thinking the same thing, that it should be okay on the same circuit. However, when I began reading different threads on the web, I didn't find this to be a common application. Also, I am somewhat concerned that future d/w's will require more amps and therefore won't work with this set-up.

All things considered, i'll probably go ahead with the two on the same circuit and go with a 1/2 HP disposal.

Thanks for your help guys.

Old 10-21-08, 12:26 PM
N
By "not a common application" I mean both appliances sharing a 15A circuit. Sharing a 20A circuit seemed very common.

Old 10-21-08, 01:36 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
If you had the walls open or other such remodel, the ideal case would be to install the 20A circuit, but since you only have the 15A circuit available you can make do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: