Air handler disconnect

Old 10-21-08, 12:02 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air handler disconnect

Currently in the planning stage for installing a heat pump or standard A/C. Either way will include heat strips for heating.
The air handler will be installed in a small closet and fed with a 240V 60A circuit and I want to install a disconnect switch in the closet for maintenance purposes.
I can get a full blown "safety" switch with the big handle, but they are large and the closet is small. On the other hand, a small, main lug panel with a 2-pole breaker would serve the same function but with a much smaller footprint. I'm concerned that this panel could be viewed as a sub in a closet rather than just a disconnect.
Would this small panel option be legitimate and code acceptable?
Thanks.

Old 10-21-08, 12:13 PM
B
Old 10-21-08, 07:09 PM
D
All you need is a little non fused 60 amp pullout disconnect (available at any big box store) as long as the circuit is protected in your main panel.
This would be the standard installation.
See the link above.

Old 10-22-08, 11:59 AM
H
A/C disconnect

Thanks for your responses. They make sense and are by far the least expensive options.
However, I should have mentioned before that my feed will come from the top via EMT conduit. I can't afford any additional bends to meet the side of a box (designed run already requires 200+ degrees). I suppose I could use an LB but I've never been good at forcing 3x 6ga wires through them. But I may have to carefully fish them one at a time.
Do any of the pullouts have top entrance? That would be perfect, but I've never seen one.
Thanks again.

Old 10-22-08, 12:33 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Just an access elbow would be okay -- no need for the LB.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: