Wiring a baseboard heater

Old 10-22-08, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a baseboard heater

I am attempting to install a 120v baseboard heater that is plugged.
I am trying to insert a wall thermostat into the mix by cutting the cord going to the wall outlet and running that straight to the thermostat, then from the thermostat running romex to the heater. I am simply matching wires from the thermostat to the heater but it keeps tripping the breaker, what am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-08, 01:16 PM
Does the label on the baseboard heater say 120V?

How many watts does the label say?

Or what is the brand and model number of the baseboard heater?

For the outlet you are plugging into... does the circuit breaker for that outlet say 15 or 20 (amps)?

What else is on that same circuit? (What goes off when you turn off the breaker for that outlet?)

Old 10-22-08, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Uhhhh I don't think you'll find anyone here that will help with that. I see several code violations, and I'm not any sort of electrical pro. This board will not give advice that violates any electrical codes.

Plug in heaters are designed to be plugged in. Wall mount hardwired thermostats are designed to be permanantly mounted and hardwired.

I'm not being rude, just letting you know how it is.

Old 10-22-08, 01:40 PM
Not sure why I would be breaking any codes-I am just installing a wall thermostat onto a baseboard heater. The circuit is sized correctly, the heater is 120v /1000/1500 watts and the breaker is 30 amp. I feel that my wiring diagram is lacking....

Old 10-23-08, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by huknhigh View Post
I am attempting to install a 120v baseboard heater that is plugged.

I am trying to insert a wall thermostat into the mix by cutting the cord going to the wall outlet and running that straight to the thermostat, then from the thermostat running romex to the heater.

I am simply matching wires from the thermostat to the heater but it keeps tripping the breaker, what am I doing wrong?

More than likely, you have violated the BB heater's UL listing by cutting the cord. And an article in the NEC that states you follow the manufacturers installation instructions. Did the instructions say an in-line thermostat can be installed?

Old 10-23-08, 10:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 28 Posts
I won't comment as to the legality or code-worthiness of this solution...

The thermostat should have two black wires, one marked "Line", the other marked "Load". The black wire (hot) from the wall should go to "Line" on the thermostat. The Load wire from the thermostat should go to the black wire going to the heater.

The white wire (neutral) from the wall should be connected directly to the white wire going to the heater.

All grounds should be tied together.

If your thermostat has 4 wires (2 black and 2 red), you have a 240v thermostat. You'll have to check the instructions to find out how and if you can wire it to a 120v heater. Some can, some can't.

Hope this helps