Romex to THWN/THHN Transition help

Old 10-24-08, 06:25 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Romex to THWN/THHN Transition help

How do I go about tapping off from an electrical outlet (Romex) inside our finished garage, into THWN/THHN that will be installed in PVC conduit? The conduit will be installed along the outside of the drywall, up the ceiling and terminate into an outlet to provide power to our garage door opener. Is this an acceptable alternative to running romex inside the wall? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-08, 06:37 PM
S
what you could do is take off the plug from which you want to 'steel' power from and put on an extension ring designed for an 11-10 single gang box. on the top of the extension ring will be a half inch knock out. put your connector in this KO and run your pipe to a surface mount 11-10 box. when you go to splice, make sure to pig-tail the hot neutral and ground rather than using the terminal screws for carrying yyour power. if the single gang box in your wall is compatible with an extension ring, this should work for you. also, it's up to code as long as there's sufficient capacity left on the circuit you're tapping into. i'd use emt though, especially in a garage. good luck

Old 10-24-08, 06:46 PM
G
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
PVC is approved for this application. Personally, though, I would use EMT or Wiremold
Doug

Old 10-24-08, 09:36 PM
M
Let's say that extension ring with the 1/2" KO wont's work with the existing box. Am I allowed to pigtail romex from the existing box, then route out of the box, thru the drywall to enter the rear KO of the PVC box? Can I legally make the romex/THWN connections in the PVC box instead?

Old 10-25-08, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by gilmorrie View Post
PVC is approved for this application. Personally, though, I would use EMT or Wiremold
Doug
I aggree. You can even buy pre bent 90s and 45s and other fittings (like a box offset) if you don't have a bender.

Old 10-26-08, 03:04 PM
S
you can't run single conductors in drywall. you must have a raceway. if you can fish through the walls why don't you simply pull lumex. (romex to the southerners) if not then go with emt unless you really don't know how to bend pipe, then go pvc. heat guns can help you make your offsets, 90,s and so on. also, an extension ring WILL work, almost certainly. good luck.