In-line fan for TWO bathrooms

Old 10-25-08, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In-line fan for TWO bathrooms

I currently have two ceiling fans in each of my bathrooms that back up against each other. They do not do the job and I purchased a mighty in-line fan to handle both. With the current wiring how can I wire this one fan to be operated from both bathroom fan switches?

Both can be on.

One off one on.

Both off.

Can this be done?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-08, 10:55 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Without knowing exactly how the individual fans are (were) wired I cannot give absolute answers.

However, assuming the two switches were on switch loops to the individual fans you would tie the attic ends of these switch loops in parallel and then wire these in series with the hot lead of the new in-line fan. This way either switch would have individual on/off control but neither switch could override the control of the other switch.

In other words, if you turned the switch in bathroom one on it could NOT be turned off in bathroom two and vice versa. I would suggest replacing the switches with mechanical (spring-wound) time switches and that way the fan would be able to be started from either bathroom and would then automatically shut off when both timers were at the zero minutes setting.

Old 10-25-08, 11:33 AM
Pictures

Being that I am not an electrician I need pictures to help me. What I have done in many of my rooms is, ONE Power and two switches for a Fan and Lights. HAD a picture, easy.

Thank you for your response. Is there a place to find such a diagram of what you said.

There a two power supplies and switches for each bathroom.

I will only use one power: Black / White

Fan: Black / White

Switch 1: Black / White

Switch 2: Black / White

Sorry for the simple minded approach, but thanks for your help.
JIM

Old 10-25-08, 11:56 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Post deleted due to misunderstanding of first post.

Old 10-25-08, 12:00 PM
HuH? The old fans will be removed.

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Just a word of warning both current fans must be on the same circuit for the plans already suggested to work safely.

If they are on the same circuit I'd do it with a SPST normally open relay with a 120v ac coil. The coil of the relay would be hooked to the power to both fans. The new fan's hot across the relay contacts. When either fan was switched on the new, extra fan would run.

Old 10-25-08, 12:03 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Shandy View Post
HuH? The old fans will be removed.
I have deleted my post. It gave a non workable solution. Caught it but you posted while I was correcting it. Got to learn to type faster.

Old 10-25-08, 12:10 PM
Ah the language of each profession!

Thanks for your response Ray. I'm headed to the attic to take a look see.

Old 10-25-08, 01:50 PM

Does that work for you?

Old 10-25-08, 02:43 PM
Awsome!!

Ok...the fans have been removed! The new one I just installed about year and a half ago.

Furd I understand you drawing and that is great!!! Thank you. I was thinking while up in the attic, why can I not just connect the two lines that supplied the old fans into the one fan? Does that supply to much power. I'm have trouble locating where the power is coming into the fans.

Old 10-25-08, 04:01 PM
How many cables enter each bathroom's switch box? Remember that a cable is an assembly of two or more wires with an outer jacket.

If there is only one cable and that cable contains two insulated wires (the bare ground wire is usually ignored when counting wires) then the diagram will be correct. However, if you have more than two wires in the cable, or you have two cables, then you probably have power coming to the switch box first.

So, how many cables and how many wires in each cable?

Old 10-25-08, 04:09 PM
Hold On Let Me Check!

Only one cable to fans: white/black/ground.

Originally Posted by furd View Post
How many cables enter each bathroom's switch box? Remember that a cable is an assembly of two or more wires with an outer jacket.

If there is only one cable and that cable contains two insulated wires (the bare ground wire is usually ignored when counting wires) then the diagram will be correct. However, if you have more than two wires in the cable, or you have two cables, then you probably have power coming to the switch box first.

So, how many cables and how many wires in each cable?

Old 10-25-08, 04:21 PM
Ok

Furd...there are two cables for bathroom switch A (two black wires to switch) and the same in bathroom B. Keeping in mind there is a light switch in the same box.

Old 10-28-08, 05:06 PM
Bump

Just wanted to bump this back up to the top. Ferd you had me headed in the right direction just need a finishing blow!

Thanks

Old 10-30-08, 08:14 AM
Power at the switches

If I disconnect a power from one of the switches how then can I wire the fan so that both switches have control of the fan?

I'm working with the drawing to see if I can figure it out.

Old 10-30-08, 09:13 AM
I'm a bit surprised that no one else has added anything.

Shandy, are you trying to tell me that at least one bathroom has a light switch in the same box as the fan switch? Maybe both bathrooms? Depending on exactly how the fan and lights are wired and the source of the electricity it may not be possible to wire the two bathrooms to the single exhaust fan without running some more cable.

Please detail ALL the cables and their enclosed wires in the switchbox for each bathroom. Describe what wires are connected and include both the fan and light switches. If possible, take a few pictures or draw out a diagram.

To post pictures you need to first upload the pictures to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com or villagephotos.com. and then post the public URLs for the pictures (or album) here. More pictures are always better than fewer. Please have CLEAR pictures and have both close up pictures and ones from a far enough distance that we can see how the various parts are interconnected.

Old 10-30-08, 09:41 AM
NIKON in the shop

Oddly enough my very nice and expensive NiKon is in the repair shop. You are correct there is a light switch in each bathroom switch box along with the fan switch. Four cables are coming into each box. All the whites are tied together and all the black wires go to the switches. And a single cable to the fans in the attic.

Studying your drawing I just can't make it work. I assume that two of the cables in each box are just one/same power supplying the two fixtures...lights and fan?

Am I correct in thinking that because the power runs through the switches there is no way to make a complete curcuit? In my previous projects the power was in the attic and it made thing much easier.

Could I disconnet the power at each fan switch and find a power in the attic? Then your drawing would work...correct?

Thanks for all your help. JIM

Old 10-30-08, 11:53 AM
Were the old exhaust fans supplied from the same branch circuit (same circuit breaker)?

Furd's drawing won't work. You have power to the switches.

Old 10-31-08, 04:39 PM
Thanks

Thinman do you have any suggestions on this hook up. I'm needing to hook this fan up soon so I may go with disconnecting the power from each switch and finding power in the attic and use Furd's diagram. What do you think?

Old 10-31-08, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
Were the old exhaust fans supplied from the same branch circuit (same circuit breaker)?

Furd's drawing won't work. You have power to the switches.
Seconded on both statements.

Old 11-04-08, 09:42 AM
A 3-way switch would work, but someone in bathroom A could turn off the fan when a person in bathroom B wants it on.

I'm thinking a forward/reversing contactor with electrical and mechanical interlocks.

The switch in bathroom A would control the forward contacts and the switch in bathroom B controls the reversing contacts. The interlocks would prevent a person in bathroom A from turning off the fan and vice versa for bathroom B.

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/1...229461/229479/

Last edited by thinman; 11-04-08 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-04-08, 03:04 PM
Thinman

To simplify things could I not disconnect the power from the switches in each bathroom...use the cables running from the switches to the to the fan and then use Furd diagram? I would find another power source in the attic.

Originally Posted by thinman View Post
A 3-way switch would work, but someone in bathroom A could turn off the fan when a person in bathroom B wants it on.

I'm thinking a forward/reversing contactor with electrical and mechanical interlocks.

The switch in bathroom A would control the forward contacts and the switch in bathroom B controls the reversing contacts. The interlocks would prevent a person in bathroom A from turning off the fan and vice versa for bathroom B.

Bulletin 100-M Miniature Contactors

Old 11-04-08, 03:44 PM
To simplify things could I not disconnect the power from the switches in each bathroom...use the cables running from the switches to the to the fan and then use Furd diagram? I would find another power source in the attic.
Did you read the other comment about Furd's idea not working?

Old 11-04-08, 04:31 PM
I did. Did I miss something??

Originally Posted by ArgMeMatey View Post
Did you read the other comment about Furd's idea not working?

Old 11-04-08, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Yes, If you found a power source in the attic, Furds's wiring diagram will work. If you need a more descriptive post just shout.

Old 11-04-08, 08:13 PM
Thanks

Thanks Ironhand....I plan on doing the job in the AM...I just dread going back in my attic!!!

Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Yes, If you found a power source in the attic, Furds's wiring diagram will work. If you need a more descriptive post just shout.

Old 11-04-08, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks Ironhand....I plan on doing the job in the AM...I just dread going back in my attic!!!
I feel your pain. Strangely enough, I was up in an attic past 3 work days doing different stuff for a guy. Not for any length of time but it still sucks.

Old 11-08-08, 03:21 PM
Thanks

IT WORKS!!! A day in the attic and only a little blood loss! Thanks everybody.

JIM

Old 11-10-08, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
Sweet! Well done! Hope you didn't get banged up too bad.