New 200 AMP servive for garage and house

Old 10-27-08, 02:53 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New 200 AMP servive for garage and house

Hello everyone,
I have a question about how to get a 200 amp service installed in both the garage wich is detached 30 feet away from the house and to the house as well.
When I first moved in about 2 years ago I had an electrician change the previous owners wiring nightmare of powering the garage off of the house wich is an old stablock box from the early 60's. Amp rating unknown to me.
A 100 amp Square D Homeline box with service entrance straight from the pole was put in my garage.
Now I have a meter on the garage and one on the house. I didn't have alot of money to do with after just buying a house so I didn't fix it all at once to my regret.
Now that I am financially able I would like to run a 200Amp breaker panel with the meter on the garage and run underground to the house and also install a 200 Amp sub panel in the house and do away with the house meter. I have no idea as to how much voltage is available at the pole.
My real question is can this be done?
I have a little knowledge of AC wiring but I know DC well as I am an Automotive Technician. AC terminology does escape me sometimes so if you could explain simply if it can be done and briefly how he would go about it so I'll know if a electrician is B-Sing me I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Old 10-27-08, 03:15 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK1 View Post
My real question is can this be done?
Yes it definitely can be done, but in almost all circumstances it needs to be done by a licensed electrician coordinated with the power company because of the live power drops from the pole.

if you could explain simply if it can be done and briefly how he would go about it so I'll know if a electrician is B-Sing me I would appreciate it.
At the garage, the electrician would need to add a 200A main panel and meter box (possibly in the form of a meter/main combo) and new conduit and wires up to the weatherhead or power pole.

He would then convert your garage panel to a subpanel and feed it from the new panel.

Next, he would convert your old house main panel to a subpanel or replace the old 100A panel with a new 200A subpanel.

Then he would feed the new house panel from the new garage panel. This would probably require digging a trench, burying conduit, and pulling through some pretty heavy wires.

There are a couple variations on how this job could go, but no matter how you look at it it would require replacing pretty much everything you have with new gear.

If you've ever thought about a standby generator hookup, now would be the time to do it in the quote. Price will be much lower to do it with the service upgrade rather than down the road.

Old 10-27-08, 03:28 PM
G
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
I'm wondering why you need 200A at the garage and the house, both? What you have now, as well as what your propose, is unorthodox.

But anyway, to do what you propose, you are going to end up with a single 200-A utility service, total. One 200-A main breaker will be at the garage.

You could increase the utility service to the garage, but that would require upping the utility's service drop. But you do need to get away from two meters - which increases your bill.
Doug

Old 10-27-08, 03:31 PM
P
I will definately have an electrician do all of this. And thank you for your helpful advise ibpooks.

Old 10-27-08, 03:40 PM
P
[QUOTE=gilmorrie;1453866]I'm wondering why you need 200A at the garage and the house, both? What you have now, as well as what your propose, is unorthodox.

I simply would like to have 200amps in the house for resale value and peace of mind.
In the garage I use three diffent welders not at the same time though sometimes 2 at once if my son is helping.
I have a 5HP air compressor, alot of lghts, drill press 1/2HP, fridgerator, deepfreeze, and several space heaters in winter as it is not insulated, and electric case tumblers running almost all the time, and battery chargers. 100 Amps has done fine so far but everyone keeps telling me to upgrade. I dunno?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: