Wiring problem...

Old 10-29-08, 08:42 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wiring problem...

We moved a house recently onto a new foundation and had an electrician disconnect the service panel at the old location, and then install a new, larger service panel and hook everything back up again at the new location.

Problem is that not everything works as it should. The light and a receptacle in one bedroom and the light in another bedroom don't work. When I hold a current detector anywhere near the switch, light or receptacle in these rooms it beeps madly, so they're getting power.

What would cause this to happen and what's the best way to troubleshoot and resolve the problem??

Old 10-29-08, 08:56 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are the two bedrooms on the same branch circuit? You might have an open circuit. Start by inspecting for loose connections at the light switches and receptacle. Check other outlets on the same circuit to see if they work. Hopefully you can narrow down where the problem is located.

BE CAREFUL.

Old 10-29-08, 09:01 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oops! Thought I had hit the edit key.

Old 10-29-08, 09:03 PM
R
I don't know if they're on the same branch circuit or not. I agree that I need to do some SAFE troubleshooting, but I don't know where to begin with that...any ideas??

Ok, I will start there and post back tomorrow what I can find out...thanks.

Old 10-29-08, 09:52 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It possbltiy that the conductor got loosen up or the cable got cut off or pintched and got cutted as well.

What you have to do is turn off the power source and make sure the circuit you are working on is dead then check all the connections to make sure nothing is out of ordrany.

Once you verify it is good then you will have to do more deeper digging for troubeshooting there.

Merci,Marc

Old 10-30-08, 07:06 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If they installed a new service panel, I'm assuming that's the one with all of the circuit breakers, they had everything disconnected and the electrician should be willing to come back and check it out for you, no charge, since they should have tested all circuits after the job anyway. Option two, and as noted before be careful, since you can detect power, start turning breakers off until you find which one or ones are supplying power to the areas in question. Hopefully it is just one breaker and maybe they are labeled. If it is just one breaker and you are detecting power in the rooms, then the black wire is good. So the place to look is the white one. I don't know how comfortable you are with power panels, so I'm going to recommend you shut off the main breaker to the panel. Once again I'm concerned about telling you where to look if you aren't certain you are safe doing this. But here is where someone has to check. If it is one breaker, follow the black wire back to where it enters the panel, where it should be associated with one white and one copper. Follow the white to where all of the white wires are connected to a row of fastening screws. Make sure that the white didn't get forgotten and is just laying loose in there somewhere. Even tug on it if it looks like it is fastened to be sure it is tight. The white is the return for the power so if not connected you will sense power at the recepticals and switch but nothing will work. If you discover that a second breaker is involved, check it the same way. First, see if the electrician can come back. If not, have someone qualified check the white wire connection in the panel. If that doesn't locate it, post back and we will continue. Good luck. Bud

Old 11-01-08, 02:10 PM
R
Hi guys...thanks for the advice.

I mapped what is on that circuit (powered by a single breaker):

kitchen: refrigerator (works)
bathroom: GFC outlet and light (works)
bedroom 1: switch/light/receptacle (detect power but not working)
bedroom 2: switch/light (detect power but not working), however, the receptacle works

I cut power at the main breaker and checked the white wire connection for that breaker in the service panel, and everything was connected and tight.

What's my next step??

Old 11-01-08, 04:46 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Good description. I assume you have looked at all the wires you can in the basement for damage or pulled wires, so let's look for a loose connection. Chances are it is still a white wire, so check all boxes for white wires and how they are connected. Generally, when required, they are twisted together and capped with a wire nut, but in some recepticles they use those little plug in holes in the back. (I hate those) And, the problem may be the wire feeding power to this group so the problem could be in another box. Time to test your wiring ability. Start by drawing a layout of the rooms in question and locate all of the boxes on that circuit. We are looking for where the wire from the panel goes, where if branches or loops to, and how the lights are wired. Figure out what you can and then count the wires in the boxes that are still in question. Basic electrical wiring is really very simple, so once you get the knack of it you will figure this out very quickly. Some basics: A receptacle with one wire has just power coming in. A receptacle with two wires has power in and out. A light with one wire, just switched power in. It means that wire is going directly to its switch. A light with two wires (assuming not a 3-way) has power in and a switch loop out to the controlling switch. A light with more than two wires means your neighbor is tapped into your house. Sorry, just count them and we will figure them out. If your bedrooms are single switch boxes it is easier. One wire and it is a switch loop headed up to the light. Two wires and it is power in and a feed to the light. More than two, typically power in, power out and a switch leg out. In most but not all cases, all of the white wires entering a box simply get twisted together and capped with a wire nut. NOW, DON"T REWIRE ANYTHING. Just look, take notes, test for loose connections and tell us what you have learned. I don't think I have to be too careful with you as you sound pretty heads up. Give this a try and post back. Once you give us a layout and a wire count in each box we will start to pin the problem down. Bud

Old 11-02-08, 09:58 AM
R
Hey Bud, thanks for the help.

- refrigerator receptacle has two wires
- bathroom GFC recpetacle has three wires:
B1-B2
W1-W3 twisted with wire attached to silver terminal
W2 attached to brass terminal and then twisted with B3
- bathroom switch has two poles and one wire
- bedroom1 switch has two poles and two wires (one is a 3-wire):
B1-B2 twisted with wire attached to terminal
R1 attached to other terminal
W1-W2
- bedroom1 receptacle has one wire
- bedroom2 switch had three poles and two wires (one is a 3-wire):
B1 attached to terminal
B2 and R1 attached to the terminals on other side of switch
W1-W2
- bedroom2 receptacle has two wires:
*** This is the receptacle that works, but it is wired strangely. B1 and B2 attached to brass terminals, W1 attached to silver terminal and W2 attached to the green ground terminal. Circuit tester indicates a Hot/Neutral Reverse.

Old 01-26-09, 09:24 PM
R
Rewired a problem receptacle in the one bedroom, and traced a branch circuit that feeds the other bedroom to a junction box that contained a partially severed wire. Once I rewired that everything works fine now. Thanks to all who replied!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: