wiring doorbell for multi-family

Old 11-01-08, 05:34 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring doorbell for multi-family

Help --This may be dumb, but I have been trying to find an answer: can I use one transformer for doorbells to two separate living units? I have wired the front and back doors and separate chimes, but now need to put in the transformer/s. I could not find a diagram of how to wire a multi-family anywhere on the web. Does anyone know where I can find one? Or can anyone answer the question?

And if I can use the same transformer, do I need to get a single one equal to adding up the smaller ones? Since both doorbells are not going to be used at the same time, do I need a transformer large enough just for one?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-08, 06:35 AM
B
This is not a good idea because one family may move out and have the power turned off, then the other family will want their doorbell "fixed". Then you will need to install a separate transformer at that time. (If you are the landlord.)

Or the "new baby situation" where someone might disconnect the doorbell at the transformer.

Old 11-01-08, 10:06 AM
F
For codewise with multifamily house with doorbell system it far much wiser to keep the doorbell seprated for each unit due you can not have any other circuit even doorbell circuit run into other mulitfamily area at all.

Is this place is duplex or up and down dupex or what?

and keep in your mind each unit genrally have it own doorbell and far much easier do that way.

as one of the poster gave you good points there.

Merci,Marc

Old 11-01-08, 03:11 PM
A
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
For codewise with multifamily house with doorbell system it far much wiser to keep the doorbell seprated for each unit due you can not have any other circuit even doorbell circuit run into other mulitfamily area at all.
Marc can you clarify this? I've seen plenty of places with a common doorbell or intercom with the transformer on the public meter. This would not apply in a typical duplex but larger buildings with 4 or more units often have a house meter that the landlord pays. I assume you mean that anything metered to one tenant cannot serve any other tenant's unit.

Old 11-01-08, 07:56 PM
R
Thanks for your replies. Maybe I should have explained -- the "second unit" is part of my home where my widowed father in law lives. We want to create as much independence for him as possible, so the second bell.

From what Bill190 said, it seems that I could put both on a single transformer, since the electric is all on my bill. Is that right? If so, do I need to increase the size? I have a 16volt transformer for my two bell and two chimes alone, should I increase it when I add his bell and chime?

Old 11-01-08, 08:56 PM
J
Yes, you can put them both on one transformer. No, you don't need a different transformer.

You may, however, find the cabling easier if you spend the ten bucks on a second transformer if that means you don't have to run the wiring back to the current transformer.

But it's your choice and it doesn't make much difference.