conduit question

Old 11-02-08, 11:54 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
conduit question

I have an area where my new HVAC ductwork will be going through an opening in my foundation and will be right under and parallel to a joist cavity. I need to have multiple circuits also go through this area (furnace 20A, AC ?amp, heat pump condensor 30A, dining room 20A) As this area will be hard to get to nail up wire later on, I wanted to know if I could just put up some PVC pipe in joist cavity that I can later pull wire through. It will be NM wire, so it is protected. The pipe would really just to make it easier for me to run the wire-I guess a raceway. The length would be about 15'. Sch 40 water line 2" or 3". Is this acceptable by code?

Old 11-03-08, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by hammerash
I have an area where my new HVAC ductwork will be going through an opening in my foundation and will be right under and parallel to a joist cavity. I need to have multiple circuits also go through this area (furnace 20A, AC ?amp, heat pump condensor 30A, dining room 20A) As this area will be hard to get to nail up wire later on, I wanted to know if I could just put up some PVC pipe in joist cavity that I can later pull wire through. It will be NM wire, so it is protected. The pipe would really just to make it easier for me to run the wire-I guess a raceway. The length would be about 15'. Sch 40 water line 2" or 3". Is this acceptable by code?

This should'nt be a problem as long as the conduit is properly supported. I would recommend using electrical PVC rather than plumbing to avoid any possible inspection issues, and also ensure the pipe size is adequate to support the number of runs you now have, and to accomodate any possible future pulls. Run it by the inspector just to make sure he has no issues with it first.

Old 11-03-08, 07:20 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just to be sure I understand correctly, the conduit will not be in the space where the air is passing through, correct?

Old 11-03-08, 08:24 AM
H
correct. the steel ductwork would be under joist cavity (the top of duct would be below bottom of joists) the conduit would be up in the joist cavity.

Old 11-03-08, 10:59 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Yes that's okay. If the duct is penetrating a firewall, you may need to seal the conduit with caulk or expanding foam once the cables have been pulled through. Otherwise I see no problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: