No power in some Mobile Home rooms

Old 11-04-08, 02:39 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No power in some Mobile Home rooms

I have a single wide mobile home and I lost power in the living room and master bedroom. I thought I found the problem but after 1 day it returned. The Power for these rooms is connected to the hall light switch. i thought i found the common wire was broke and I bypassed it and it worked. But... now I have the same problem.

Any Ideas?
Thanx
Jes in Plumas county California

Last edited by Macwarrior; 11-04-08 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Location
Old 11-04-08, 04:18 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like a lost neutral. There has to be a junction box somewhere.

Old 11-04-08, 05:42 PM
F
Check the receptale as far I know the mobile home have famous quirk is backstabbing the receptale and switches so you will have to check each one to make sure there is no loose connection.

You do have a break in the conductors check the receptale and switch location first then check the luminarie junction box also those few common spots where you will have issue with it.

Merci,Marc

Old 11-05-08, 03:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
as far I know the mobile home have famous quirk is backstabbing the receptale and switches

Every MH I've ever done any electrical work on has had backstabs
I always thought they were the only way to go........ until I learned the reason that the good electricians don't use them

Old 11-05-08, 06:16 AM
F
Marksr.,

I will let the cat out of the bag on this one.

The main reason why the Mobile Home and Moduar Home both used the backstabbing device due the manufacter will only allowed X amout of the time to termated them and they will choose the quickest route which it will be backstabbing.

That why most Mobilehome and moduar home have very instering producres to do this and when they get done hook up and they do run a High Pot test or Megger the whole system before it leave the factory floor.

Merci,Marc

Old 11-05-08, 07:03 AM
B
Do you have aluminum wiring?

Old 11-05-08, 05:07 PM
B
Mac
Mobile homes are an electrical nightmare all thier own. Take it from a man who not only lives in one but also spent years working in a mobile home rental community. That being said let me give you some clues to help with your mystery.
1. Back stabbed recepts and switched are a good place to start
2. Look for the "obvious", by that I mean the recept. that is outside the door on the back side of your MH. It is probably never used and has a weather proof cover over it. The seal around it leaks and bugs like to live in there. Dead bugs and moisture equal corrosion.
3. Check for the recept. under your MH, usually just behind the edge, facing down with a WP cover. Many have one there for no apparent reason.
4. If you have aluminium wiring check your fix again. Be careful with Al wire it tends to break if you nick it with wire stripppers and bend it too much or mechanical twist it. Do not over tighten the wire nuts either.
5. Determine what is on the circuit, each recepticle and light.
Turn off the breaker and start at the last working device to look for the problem.

Good luck!
B

Old 11-06-08, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
"3. Check for the recept. under your MH, usually just behind the edge, facing down with a WP cover. Many have one there for no apparent reason."

This recepticle is to plug in heat tape for the water supply - if needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: