GFI Fault... or not?

Old 11-05-08, 07:22 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFI Fault... or not?

I had an electrical leaf blower plugged into a garage recepticle. It ran for about a second then shut off and wouldn't run again. A quick check and all the outlets and lights in the garage (and the inner wall) were dead. Checking the GFI CB in the main panel showed no trip. I pushed the test button and it tripped the breaker, and then I reset the CB - still no power. I figured I burned out something in the outlet where the leafblower was plugged in, so I changed it. Still whole circuit is dead, GFI not tripped (or so it seems) and CB not tripped? Did the GFI fail?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-08, 07:29 AM
B
If you have a tester; does the line from the breaker going to the GFI have power? The best way to figure this out is to find out where the power breaks. Also, trip and untrip the CB just to make sure.

Actually to clarify.. do you have a GFI receptacle outside of the panel box on that circuit, or is the GFI the actual breaker in the panel box?

Old 11-05-08, 08:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 91 Votes on 78 Posts
It may be possible that you have a GFI receptacle installed somewhere on the circuit that you have forgotten about. Look in the bathroom, basement or behind a shelf in the garage.

Old 11-05-08, 11:49 AM
A
Red face

The GFI is part of this particular circuit breaker. There is a GFI outlet nearby, but it's on another circuit and wasn't tripped and the outlet had power. I will check, though, there is an outside outlet that probably has a GFI, and I forgot to check it. Thanks!