wire size for shed

Old 11-06-08, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wire size for shed

hi

I live in NL, canada. I have a shed about 60 feet from my house. I want to run power to it via a sub panel. I have a 200 amp panel box in my house.with plenty of room left in it. I have a 100 amp sub panel to but in the shed. I need to know what size of wire I should use to run from my house to the shed. I have varius woodworking equipment in my shed the biggest takes 20 amp at 110 v. I also run a small wire feed welder also 110v.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-08, 08:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Unless you are going to run electric heat in your shed or have many machines running at the same time you will probably do fine with a 60 amp feed. Yes, you may feed a 100 amp panel with 60 amps because the breaker you put in the main panel is what is protecting the circuit.

Wire size will depend on your wiring method. I would suggest running PVC conduit and running individual conductors (THHW or XHHW) You would need #8 THHW copper or #6 XHHW aluminum.

This is all by US NEC codes. Canada may be different.

Old 11-06-08, 08:19 AM
Just because you have a 100-amp panel in the shed does not mean that you need to wire it for 100 amps. Running more power than you need only increases the cost and effort.

It is essential that you do a good calculation of how much power you need. Based on your statement that your biggest piece of equipment takes 20 amps at 110 volts, you don't need that much. But several other factors come into play. How big is the shed? Will there ever be more than one person working at a time? Do you need heat and/or air conditioning? Do you think you ever might buy bigger equipment (e.g., a 220-volt welder or kiln)? Will you put a refrigerator or freezer out there? A television?

Old 11-06-08, 11:00 AM
Ok I guess I did'nt post enough info. The shed is 31'x20' I do have a deep freeze in it. I use wood heat,and will never use electric. There may be times when there is more than one person working, never more than two.the biggest peice of equipment is a planner,and i use a dust collection system at the same time. I will not be putting in a kiln, but i will be upgrading my welder to 220v in the future. Plus I may upgrade some existing equipment to 220v (ie planner, table saw) I want to wire the shed up to a standard that will not mean upgrading in the future ty all