GFCI Switch/Outlet - Switch operates Garbage Disposer

Old 11-10-08, 06:37 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI Switch/Outlet - Switch operates Garbage Disposer

I'm trying to wire a combo GFCI Switch/Outlet.

the source is going into the GFCI, then to another outlet downstream. The switch on the GFCI is to control the garbage disposer.

I have everything wired up now and the outlets works fine until I flip the switch to activate the garbage disposer. The Garbage Disposer doesn't come on at all, no sound, nothing....but it trips the GFCI. (I have hit the reset on the bottom of the garbage disposer, also the GD is a Badger 9)

Can someone post a diagram or explain how to properly wire this circuit?

I want all the receptacles to stay hot all the time and the switch on the GFCI to power the garbage disposer.

Doesn't seem too complicated but apparently I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Joe

Old 11-10-08, 07:34 AM
B
Local electrical codes usually require a separate circuit for a garbage disposal or may allow the garbage disposal to be on the same circuit as a dishwasher.

Also electric motors (which a garbage disposal has) tend to trip GFCI's when they get older. It probably is not a requirement to place the garbage disposal on a GFCI.

I would check with your local electrical inspector as to what requirements they have for installing your garbage disposal.

Then if a separate circuit is required, install it if you know how to safely do this or call an electrician.

Old 11-10-08, 08:55 AM
J
As Bill says, this setup is not legal if you are in the United States. Please fill in the location field of your profile for best advice.

If the garbage disposal is cord-and-plug connected, then unplug the garbage disposal. Turn on the switch and see if the GFCI trips. If not, then plug a lamp into the disposal receptacle and try it again. If it trips now, then you have a wiring problem. Do you have a multiwire circuit in the kitchen? Are there any red wires in the switch/GFCI box?

There are multiple ways to wire this, and you haven't given us enough details to know which one will work for you.

Old 11-10-08, 03:43 PM
J
I am located in MD.

I'm working with a 60Amp breaker box so I don't have many circuits to work with.

The garbage disposal is hardwired from the switch portion of the GFCI.

I have about 5-6 different circuits controlling various items. The circuit in question is 12/2 wire, so no red wires at all. I ran new wire for that circuit. Everything is new, G.D, GFCI, outlet and dishwasher.

What additional detail do you need?

Right now, I have
SOURCE to DISHWASHER (from junction box in basement)
SOURCE to GFCI (from junction box in basement)
GFCI/OUTLET to other counter receptacle
GFCI/SWITCH to GARBAGE DISPOSER

Should I break the tab connecting the brass screws on the GFCI and then run separate hot from junction box to GFCI/outlet & GFCI/switch?

Thanks

Old 11-10-08, 09:04 PM
J
Even though the disposal is hardwired, you can still disconnect it as an experiment. And then you can still connect something else temporarily. The idea is to first see if the wiring itself is a problem and then to see if the disposal is a problem.

Don't break off the tab (at least not until you read the next paragraph). If the GFCI receptacle is not switched, then the white wire to the disposal should be coming off the LINE side of the GFCI, not the LOAD side. You cannot provide GFCI protection to the disposal unless the GFCI receptacle itself is switched. I'm not sure if you intended to protect the disposal or not.

You're going to have a hard time complying with code no matter what you do. You probably don't have enough circuits available in your panel to comply. But if you do have an extra space in your panel, you could run separate circuits for the disposal and receptacle. Your receptacle would need to be on a 20-amp breaker, separate from the breaker for your disposal. If you do this, then you would break off the tab.

Old 11-12-08, 01:33 PM
J
ok, I've decided I'm going to move the GFCI to the end of the circuit and just make a switch to the garbage disposer, then pigtail to the GFCI (double outlet) which will only protect itself.

This way I'm only losing 1 plug outlet since the old GFCI was a combo switch/outlet.

What is the proper way to wire this?

Source to switch to garbage disposal
Pigtail leads at switch to GFCI (which will be end of run).

Old 11-12-08, 01:50 PM
J
ooh, and for the record. I did get the garbage disposer working when I wired from source to a normal switch then to the garbage disposer. The outlets (including GFCI) have not been added in the circuit.

so my GFCI switch/outlet combo was obvioiusly wired wrong.

If you guys have a proper (safe) way to wire that, please let me know. If not, I'm just going to leave the single pole switch and move the GFCI to the end of the circuit.

So, Ideally I would want.

Source to GFCI/Switch to Garbage Disposer.
From GFCI/outlet portion to additional outlet.

I assume this is possible if I wire it correctly.

Thanks.

Old 11-12-08, 03:10 PM
J
ok, I'm probably rambling to myself at this point, but I'm confused.

I put the GFCI combo switch/outlet back into play.

Source is coming in to the LINE side of the GFCI.

GFCI has 2 black leads coming off from LOAD side. I've attached the garbage disposer to these leads. Black to the brass screw side, white wire to the silver screw side.

When I flip the switch, nothing happens, no power to garbage disposer, does NOT trip the GFCI, and the outlet on the GFCI still works.

I also swapped the wires from the leads to the garbage disposer, same thing, no power, doesn't trip, outlet works.

Only thing hooked to this circuit is Source to GFCI combo, then switch on combo to garbage disposer.

any suggestions?

and remember, I had garbage disposer working with regular switch.

Old 11-12-08, 03:11 PM
J
So let me be sure I understand. You have given up on using the GFCI/switch combo? And you will be using a separate switch and separate GFCI?

Will the switch be in the same box as the GFCI, or a different box?

Now I read you latest post in which the combo is "coming back into play".

Old 11-12-08, 03:14 PM
J
What's the manufacturer and model number of your combo device?

Old 11-12-08, 03:15 PM
J
I don't want to give up on the combo GFCI, but I'm not sure how to wire it correctly, or I think I know, but it's not working.

currently, this is a GFCI combo sink right next to the sink, and an additional receptacle box about 2 feet to the right.

If I can't figure out the GFCI combo, I will put regular switch right next to sink and move the GFCI receptacle to the box 2 feet to the right.

Old 11-12-08, 03:18 PM
J
Leviton
No. 7299-NW

or R02-7299-NW

Old 11-12-08, 03:55 PM
J
latest update.

I got the garbage disposer to work using the GFCI, only problem is the switch doesn't turn it on or off. Once i hit the reset button, it stays on.

Source is going to LINE side of GFCI. the black & white wires from the garbage disposer are going into the back contacts on the LOAD side. Black on the brass screw side, white on the silver.

Had no power when attaching Disposer wires to the 2 black leads.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 11-12-08, 04:00 PM
J
This device has two LINE screws, two LOAD screws, and two switch wires. I don't believe it has any "tab" as you mentioned, and I don't believe you mentioned the switch wires. Are you ignoring the switch wires?

If you want to GFCI-protect your disposal (not required), then connect the power feed black wire to one of the switch wires. Connect the other switch wire to the LINE hot screw. Then connect the power feed white wire to the LINE neutral screw. Now connect the black wire to the disposal to LOAD hot screw, and the white wire to the disposal to LOAD neutral screw.

If you do not want to GFCI-protect your disposal, then connect the power feed black wire to one of the two switch wires, AND to a black pigtail to the LINE hot screw. Connect the power feed white wire to the the disposal white wire, AND to a white pigtail to the LINE neutral screw. Finally, connect the disposal black wire to the other switch wire.

Old 11-12-08, 04:31 PM
J
Thank you John.

When I mentioned breaking the "tab", the GFCI was still in the wall and I was assuming it was like other GFCI's I have seen. Also, I noticed the switch wires, which I called "lead" wires in earlier posts. Those are what I wires to, and got nothing.

I'm going to wire as you explained for not protecting the disposer. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Old 11-12-08, 04:55 PM
J
Thanks John.

That works perfectly. I would have never figured that out without your help.

Now, just need to add the other outlet to the LOAD contacts and I should be good to go.

Appreciate the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: