Main panel add on

Old 11-13-08, 10:20 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Main panel add on

An electrician is telling me there is a device made by Colonial called Power Works that will reduce electrical line noise and save 10 to 20% on electrical costs and increase the life of electric/electronic components. Has anyone heard of this add on to the main panel. Thank you

Old 11-13-08, 11:18 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
Yes I've heard of them, we've discussed similar products a few times before. The consensus is that they are very unlikely to live up to the claims on residential services due to the way that power companies bill. The device works by modifying reactive power consumption (a.k.a. power factor correction); however, utilities do not charge residential customers for reactive power. It will provide a little better power quality to your appliances with motors, but it will not affect your electric bill by a significant amount.

Old 11-14-08, 07:04 PM
G
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
By supplying reactive power consumed by an induction motor by capacitors, the current in the motor feeder will be less - so lower resistive losses, which you do pay for.

But the capacitor needs to be at the motor itself.

The primary beneficiary is likely to be the utility - with lower losses on their service drop - not you.

For a residence, this scheme won't pay off - except maybe for the people selling the gadget.
Doug

Old 11-15-08, 05:55 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main panel add on

Thank you both for your quick answers. This add on also is supposed to protect tv's and computers from lightening damage.
The thing costs $900.00 installed. Is there a more economical way to protect components against this type of damage?
Thank you,
Don

Old 11-15-08, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
A whole house surge suppressor. I think they only run a couple of hundred + install by an electrician. Not $900

They protect against voltage spikes on the main lines and are installed near your main panel. Very simple. They do nothing about reducing your bill. Nothing does, except turning things off and unplugging them.

Old 11-15-08, 08:43 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
A panel mounted surge protector will do what you want. They are available as both a separate add-on box which is wired in by the electrician or as a special breaker which simply snaps on to the bus bar. The breaker version is about $150 and the add-on box is about $300 retail prices.

Old 11-15-08, 10:00 AM
F
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I pretty much go with the whole house surge protection as what both Gunguy and Ibpooks{ Ben } saying about the cost and it right on the par as I do install quite few of them.

The wholehouse surge protetion they have few diffrent size depending on the set up but it pretty much the same across the whole line.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: