gfci trip wont reset...how to locate problem?

Old 11-14-08, 12:22 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
gfci trip wont reset...how to locate problem?

Brand new gfci tripped and I couldn't reset it, I unplugged everything and tried again no go. I had no power to any of the outlets further down the line. I received the little light showing power to the gfi, but it wouldn't reset just flash when I hit it, I tried a few times then Gfi started humming, and then no light, or anything when I hit reset.

I then took that gfi out and tried another new Gfi but didnt connect to outlets and lights further down the line and it worked fine, they I hooked it to things further down the line and it wouldn't reset, no power to anything.

So it appears I have something wrong somewhere down the line.

Question I have a 2 spots on the cuircuit where I have not yet put in a light fixture and just have romex hanging there inside a box. Would that cause gfi to trip because the cuircuit is not complete or something?? ( I doubt this but not sure)

Whats the best way to located the problem? I have about 9 outlets and 3 light fixtures in the room in question?

Any help appreciated
Thanks in advance

Old 11-14-08, 02:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
You could try to split the circuit further down the line and connect just that part to the LOAd side. If it trips the problem is somewhere between the GFI and the split. If it doesn't trip the problem is past the split. This will just be trial and error to find it.

Old 11-14-08, 05:49 AM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
Wiring

Check the "loose Romex down the line". Sounds like a short circuit.

Old 11-14-08, 07:32 AM
J
Start your experiment by making sure everything is unplugged down the line. If it still won't reset, then start disconnecting outlets down the line and try again.

Old 11-14-08, 07:56 AM
B
Received 42 Votes on 38 Posts
"I have a 2 spots on the cuircuit where I have not yet put in a light fixture and just have romex hanging there inside a box. Would that cause gfi to trip because the cuircuit is not complete or something?? ( I doubt this but not sure)"

I'm not sure if these wires are already wired into their respective switches or not connected on both ends. If connected on one end, the other end should have wire nuts on each wire, except the bare copper. If the white (normally a neutral) grounds to copper or a grounded box, it will trip the GFCI. My 2 cents

Bud

Old 11-14-08, 07:59 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New GFCI's will not reset if they are not correctly wired.

Be sure neutral is to neutral, hot is to hot, and ground is to ground.

Be sure the hot (black wire) is in fact hot. You should get a voltage on a meter from hot to ground to verify this. (Someone may have wired things wrong at the panel or in a junction box, so the colors on the wire may not be right.)

White or neutral goes to the side of the outlet with the larger hole.

Old 11-15-08, 09:50 AM
T
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help!

I started on the last receptacles I put in and pulled them out.
for some reason that seem to fix it. I found one pin hole size rip in the neutral wire, I assume it was touching a ground or something,

Anyway I taped it up it works fine now thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: