Need to add 4 new Circuits at Breaker Box

Old 11-16-08, 07:46 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to add 4 new Circuits at Breaker Box

Hi all,

new to the forum and have a question. I need to install 4 new breakers (20A each) in the breaker box: one to handle emergency lighting/exit signs, and the other three to handle new outlets throughout the building. What do I need to do to make sure everything works properly, and doesn't blow up when I flip the switch?

Thanks!

PS- I have the wiring run (red, white, black, and ground) to each outlet, and the wiring is hooked up to the emergency/exit lights. Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited by stardustone; 11-16-08 at 07:56 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 11-16-08, 08:21 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If this is a commercial property open to the public, you need to hire a licensed electrician to make sure that nothing "blows up" when you flip the switch.
Why did you run four wires to each outlet?
Are they split receptacles?
Are they half switched receptacles?
Are the emergency/exit circuits connected to the lighting circuit serving the area?
If you are using multiwire circuits, did you install two pole breakers or breakers with handle ties?
Get my drift?

Old 11-16-08, 08:44 PM
S
I ran four wires to each outlet to cover my bases. Really because I saw that the emergency/exit lights held what at first appeared to be 4 wires, but one was orange, for 227V power. Are you telling me I won't need it?

The receptacles are NOT split-wired. In fact, there will be two duplexes at each box, and twenty of these boxes throughout. The first breaker will consist of 4 of these boxes, and the next two breakers will each hold 8 boxes.

They aren't set up to be switched, but they should otherwise we'll have to climb the ladder and unplug each one every night. Good thought.

The emergency/exit circuit will be its own 20A breaker at the box.

I think this also answers your question about a multiwire circuit. As far as I know, they will not be multi-wire.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by pcboss; 11-17-08 at 05:58 AM. Reason: removed profanity
Old 11-17-08, 06:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
As has already been said since this is commercial you need to get a licensed electrician to perform this work.

You also have too many receptacles on the circuits. Eight double duplex receptacles = 16. The limit in commecial is 13 for a 20 amp circuit.

You may also have issues with how the exit and emergency lights are fed.

Old 11-17-08, 07:09 AM
S
Issues with Emergency/Exit feed?

pcboss,

What issues do you mean about the emergency/exit lights? They are coming off their own 20A breaker, and have that line exclusively. I have a red (which I'll be pulling), a black, white, and ground wires in 4" deep boxes, with the junctions spliced within these boxes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: