will any light switch timer work for this application?

Old 11-17-08, 01:45 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question will any light switch timer work for this application?

I have the following switch configuration where C and E control outdoor light fixtures. Is there any way to install light switch timers to control these (either one or both)?

I can't figure out why the link to my pic is broken, so here's a direct link to my pic:
http://picasaweb.google.com/DoOrDieT...4841310866.jpg

Last edited by nostickers; 11-17-08 at 01:51 PM. Reason: pic won't show up
Old 11-17-08, 02:09 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
I don't know of any duplex timers, so it would require some reconfiguration of the box to open up some space.

One option would be to replace one of your existing duplex switches with a triplex rocker switch:

then you could install one of the many digital timers that will fit into the remaining single-gang slot to control one of your lighting circuits.

Another option which will help to relieve box crowding too would be to remove the three-gang box your have and replace it with a four-gang box; or add a two-gang old-work box above, below or beside the existing box to hold the timer(s). Either of these options would depend on the location of the studs and wires which may obstruct certain mounting options. I would lean toward mounting a new box as six circuits in a three-gang box is pretty crowded already.

Old 11-17-08, 02:51 PM
G
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
If you want a single timer to control both light fixtures, then their switch legs would need to be combined. But, you would first need to verify that the two lights are on the same 120-V ckt. If they aren't, then don't try it.
Doug

Old 11-17-08, 04:52 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good suggestions, and I'll have to think more about which approach is best for this situation.

In the meantime, is this another option?

2 Dual Two Channel timer switch auto summer set 12V 110v 240V

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: