Outlet issue....

Old 11-17-08, 07:42 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlet issue....

I have a 7 year old house. I just had one of my outlets go dead on me in my kitchen (fridge). I thought my fridged died on me, but I was wrong. So I replaced the outlet and it didn't work. I purchased one of those three light plug in testers and it came back with 1 1/2 lites on...when I put a voltage signal tester in I get nothing. The fuse is fine, but I have no clue what's up with the outlet. The wiring is all correct (black to gold, white to silver, ground to green. I even restriped the wire, but nothing. What am I missing?

Old 11-17-08, 07:44 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You have an open neutral. The problem is probably at the receptacle just upstream from the refrigerator receptacle, and it's probably a failed backstab connection (wire poked into hole).

Old 11-17-08, 07:46 PM
B
How do I tell what outlet is upstream from this one? Also my outlets are screws on the site. So that screw is just off..?

Old 11-17-08, 07:56 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Shut off the circuit breaker that controls the refrigerator outlet. You can tell which breaker it is because it will be the breaker that causes your 1 1/2 tester lights (whatever that means) to go out.

Then figure out all the outlets that are dead. They may be in the kitchen or elsewhere. One of them is where the problem is.

By the way, care to tell us which light on your tester come on when you plug it in to the outlet, and what the little table on the tester say that means. Just count the light that's fully on and ignore that light that's half on.

Old 11-17-08, 07:58 PM
B
Sounds good..I'll try that. The light that was on was the red (open neutral) and slighty one was the open ground...per your note I should focus on the neutral...I'll give that a check see where it goes...thanks..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: