What's the best way to add surge protection?

Old 11-17-08, 09:03 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What's the best way to add surge protection?

I have most of the walls in my house opened up and have a chance to clean up the rats' nest of wiring that was there. There was no rhyme or reason to the way any of the circuits were laid out. The house was built in 1985 and is in MN. I have 100A service and a Square D panel. Anyways...

I'd like to install surge protection for the circut that will have recepticals used to power my home theater equipment on it. My service panel is in the attached garage and the wires all run through the garage attic. If there is some type of inline surge protector I can install this would be a good place to put it. It is easily accessible if I need to get at it.

I know the easy answer is just get a power strip, but if I can find what I'm looking for, I could simply install enough recepticles on the wall and eliminate some cable clutter behind the TV.

Are there any good products out there that do what I'm looking for? Or would I have to install one of the "whole house" surge protectors?

Thanks!

Old 11-17-08, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by KM598 View Post
Are there any good products out there that do what I'm looking for? Or would I have to install one of the "whole house" surge protectors?

Thanks!
Square D makes a secondary surge protection module for both Homeline and QO panels that installs like a circuit breaker. You will need to install it in the top slot in your panel in order to protect all your circuits. It is a recommended with any product such as this to install point of use protection as well for maximum effectiveness. They can be ordered through any distributor, big box, and anywhere else that deals with Square D.

Old 11-18-08, 12:29 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Another option is to protect the rack of gear. The thinking is, the closer the protection is to the device, the more effective it is.

Furman and Middle Atlantic are two companies that make great power conditioners for electronic gear. For a couple hundred dollars you'll protect a few thousand.

The added bonuses are the power strip, single power switch, light, and sequential powering.

Old 11-18-08, 09:07 AM
B
I have a whole house surge protector installed in my main breaker panel AND have surge protector power strips at each outlet where there is electronic equipment. This includes TV, stereo, computer, plug-in phones, cell phone chargers, etc.

I get the power strips which say they cover you with $25,000.00 (or whatever) insurance if any equipment is damaged. I figure if they say this, their equipment must work!

Anyway I have not had any problems since I installed all this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: