When is a Permit Needed?

Old 11-17-08, 10:20 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When is a Permit Needed?

I know it often depends on the AHJ, but typically....

1. I assume replacing a worn receptacle or switch like-in-kind doesn't require a permit, is that correct?

2. Does replacing an NM cable (or running a new one and abandoning an old one inside the wall) without making additional connections, say from a switch to a light fixture, require a permit?

Old 11-17-08, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by biking_brian View Post
I know it often depends on the AHJ, but typically....

1. I assume replacing a worn receptacle or switch like-in-kind doesn't require a permit, is that correct?

2. Does replacing an NM cable (or running a new one and abandoning an old one inside the wall) without making additional connections, say from a switch to a light fixture, require a permit?

Not typically, but it depends on your local AHJ. Why are you running new wire?

Old 11-17-08, 11:25 PM
T
Check with local Code office. Codes vary from area to area.

Old 11-17-08, 11:25 PM
A
Around here #1 would not require a permit but #2 would.

Now what's funny is that for plumbing, the opposite, more or less, is true: If you are replacing piping, they don't care. But if you replace a fixture, a permit is required.

Don't get me started on the perversion of the permitting process. Uh oh, too late!

Permits are justified by public officials on health and safety grounds but they have become the primary mechanism for interim property tax increases.

For example if you ask your AHJ he will trot out the line, "It's for your safety!" but then in the fine print you will see that they are not responsible if anything they inspected goes bad, because we all know the inspector is just going to check a few spots for common problems, and not look at every last box.

Meanwhile, after the permit is closed out they send it upstairs to the assessor for review. That's why they want to know if you remodeled your bathroom but they really don't care if you just replaced a worn receptacle.

Just another one of my crackpot conspiracy theories.

Old 11-17-08, 11:29 PM
F
For the resdentail home owner genrally you do not need permit for simple switch or receptale replacement However if you going to add a new circuit yes you will need the permit { you have to check with the officals in the permit office to see what they cover }

For apartment renters.,

You can not legally do anything with electrical system just get a hold of landlord first and let landlord concat the electrician { most states are very strict on this part }

Merci,Marc

Old 11-18-08, 09:13 AM
B
I think if you are new to electrical wiring and not sure of your work, then it is a good idea to get a permit no matter what you are doing. Then for a fairly low fee, you get an expert to come and double check your work to be sure it is safe.

I'm sure they would be glad to inspect even if it was something minor. They would be happy to see you being safe!

So not a bad deal...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: