Portable Generator Hookup?


  #1  
Old 11-17-08, 11:11 PM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Portable Generator Hookup?

I have read alot about installing elect. transfer switches and in my situation, I have an exsting exterior disconnect was required to be installed when I built. Could I pull that disconnect when I have power failure AND turn off my interior power panel main ? Would that safely isolate my home from backfeeding into the power grid? And IF I do have to install a transfer switch could I tap into the the power between the disconnect switch and the interior panel to install the transfer switch ? Would that be the easier route than tearing into my interior wall/power panel to install it there? I need some advice, thanks,
Kenny
 
  #2  
Old 11-18-08, 06:43 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 14,963
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
Originally Posted by kourso View Post
I have read alot about installing elect. transfer switches and in my situation, I have an exsting exterior disconnect was required to be installed when I built. Could I pull that disconnect when I have power failure AND turn off my interior power panel main ? Would that safely isolate my home from backfeeding into the power grid?
Yes, That would disconnect you from the power grid.


Originally Posted by kourso View Post
And IF I do have to install a transfer switch could I tap into the the power between the disconnect switch and the interior panel to install the transfer switch ?
Sure, but in that case you would just pull the outside disconnect and leave the main on for your panel. However, tyeing your portable generator there would mean you would be feeding the entire home off the generator. That may be too much for your generator depending on the out put.

Originally Posted by kourso View Post
Would that be the easier route than tearing into my interior wall/power panel to install it there? I need some advice, thanks,
Kenny
Kind of hard to say with out seeing it, but I see no issues with that plan.
 

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 11-18-08 at 08:03 AM.
  #3  
Old 11-18-08, 01:16 PM
N
Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Guam
Posts: 41
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by kourso View Post
Could I pull that disconnect when I have power failure AND turn off my interior power panel main ? Would that safely isolate my home from backfeeding into the power grid?
An APPROVED transfer switch OR main breaker interlock is the ONLY safe way to feed a building's wiring system. Yes, opening the main disco would prevent backfeed into the grid, but there is the possibility of forgetting to open it. With a transfer switch or main breaker interlock, there is no possibility of backfeed. Your poco lineman will thank you for it.
 
  #4  
Old 11-18-08, 06:19 PM
D
Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 405
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Article 720 requires simultaneous disconnection of the main when the emergency power is turned on.
Separate pieces of equipment as you have described does not meet the requirements of the NEC.
You need to install a manual double throw switch or interlock kit depending on the configuration of your service.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: