Outlet issue (take 2)

Old 11-18-08, 12:06 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlet issue (take 2)

So I have an outlet in kitchen (fridge) that isn't working. I plugged in a tester and it shows the open neutral with a the open ground slighty on. In the previous post I figured out that one of my outlets outside of this one might have a bad neutral connection. So I went through and tested all of the outlets on my main level of my house and everything seems to work. Any other ideas of what is up with my outlet? Would my outlet tester not find the problem if I plug it into each outlet?

Old 11-18-08, 12:41 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
You have to open each receptacle and physically check each connection. The tester would only show if the connection in is probably good, not the connection out condition. As earlier said any back stabs need to be moved to the screws. Also any wire nut connections need to be tugged on at least and screws checked for tightness. In old houses there could also be a bad connection in a ceiling box so any lights need checking too.

Old 11-18-08, 01:22 PM
B
So what is backstab? Just wire that extends past the connector/nut?

Old 11-18-08, 01:43 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A back stab is a hole in the back of the recept that you can push the bare portion of the wire in to make a connection. Most do not like them and use the screws on the side of the recept.

Old 11-18-08, 01:50 PM
B
My house is 7 years old so I think most of my outlets have screws not back stab outlets. In that case I assume I would be looking for loose connections, etc on all the outlets associated to that fuse section..right?

Old 11-18-08, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdogmn73 View Post
My house is 7 years old so I think most of my outlets have screws not back stab outlets. In that case I assume I would be looking for loose connections, etc on all the outlets associated to that fuse section..right?
Don't be too fast to assume your outlets are not backstabed. They will have both screws and holes in the back. The age of the home has nothing to do with it. Backstabed devices have been around for at least 20 years and are still sold today. If they are not backstabed then you will have to remove each device on that circuit and check the connection of the wire nuts.

Old 11-18-08, 02:37 PM
B
Sounds good! I'll double check each of them on the circuit to make sure everything else is working and is connected correctly and tight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: