Old House-Outlets protrude from the baseboards

Old 11-19-08, 11:20 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old House-Outlets protrude from the baseboards

For the most part my home has two prong outlets although a few have been upgraded to grounded 3 prong outlets.

Most of the 2 prong outlets are the more modern white/cream colored 2 prong receptacles that you still frequently see in older homes, but a few of them are older.
I am not sure when the house was built but based on the other houses in the neighborhood that are similar, I think it was in between 1935-1950.

In the living room, there are several outlets that run along the baseboard. Some of them are what I think are antique parallel/tandem outlets, but 3 of the outlets actually protrude from the wall and have a 3 sided face with a 2 prong outlet on each side. It looks something like this.
[IMG][/IMG]

These seem very dangerous. They are not grounded and if you plug in a two pronged plug like a lamp for example, the plug often becomes loose and falls out of the socket.

How can I replace these? Will they have a metal box behind them or is the box inside the receptacle that is protruding from the baseboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-19-08, 11:46 AM
J
Sorry, here is the drawing. The outlet is dark brown/black and looks like this.

Old 11-19-08, 12:06 PM
G
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
I couldn't access you pictures, but from what you say, the old receptacles that don't hold a plug tightly should be replaced. 2-prong ungrounded receptacles are still sold, and that is what you should use unless you upgrade the wiring (which might involve some major work).

It isn't kosher to just replace a 2-prong receptacle with a 3-prong receptacle (unless it is a GFCI and marked "no equipment ground"). You said that some of the receptacles had been upgraded to grounded types - you should verify that those receptacles are, in fact, grounded.
Doug

Old 11-19-08, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I saw the pic earlier, but not now...hmmmm..and I remember those in some old houses. Not an electrician, so can't advise as to what may replace them.

I think the site is having a little upgrade or problem...sure is looking funny on my end.

Old 11-19-08, 03:49 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Are you sure the ones that protrude aren't just screwed to the base board? If they are the ones I'm thinking of there is a screw holding the cover on and when you remove the cover you will see a metal plate containing the components screwed to the base board.

Old 11-20-08, 05:23 AM
J
Thanks I will check this out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: