switching from flexible conduit to romex

Old 11-19-08, 04:25 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
switching from flexible conduit to romex

Hello, I'm trying to sort out some issues before beginning a complete bathroom remodel and have some questions. It's a basement bathroom that I'll be making a little larger which means that the wall that has my switches and outlets must me moved about a foot. My house uses flexible metal conduit and I was hoping to be able to retain this conduit and just run it into the new wall but it will end up being too short which would make my GFI outlet and switches too high. Would it be possible to run the existing flexible conduit into my new wall and into a metal junction box at the top of the wall so that it ends up being towards the top of the wall. could I then run romex out of this box and into the plastic switch and outlet boxes that I'll be using further down the wall but facing the other direction in the bathroom. Finally, I would finish off the metal box with a blank plate that would only be visible on the other side of the wall in my laundry room. Hopefully this all makes sense.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 11-19-08, 05:40 PM
J
Check first with your building department to see if Romex is allowed.

Old 11-19-08, 05:51 PM
W
John, I do know that romex is allowed because every new house in Minnesota uses it and the times I've hired electrical contractors for remodeling projects, they've also used it. My house has flexible conduit because it was built in 1964. I'm concerned about the switchover between the two because I know that the flexible metal conduit serves as the ground and it won't be there on the new wire. If I am allowed to do this would I just connect the ground from the romex to the metal junction box or is there a special box for these types of projects?

Thanks,

Bill

Old 11-19-08, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
The non-metallic cable will have a ground wire in it. It will connect to the metal junction box where the change between wiring method is made.
There will be a tapped hole for a grounding screw.

Old 11-19-08, 06:05 PM
B
As long as the junction box is acessable is all that the code requires.

B

Old 11-20-08, 08:32 AM
T
Originally Posted by willy65000 View Post
Would it be possible to run the existing flexible conduit into my new wall and into a metal junction box at the top of the wall so that it ends up being towards the top of the wall.
Could you put the junction box in the attic? A jb in a wall would look....ugly. IMHO.

Old 11-20-08, 01:25 PM
W
This bathroom basically sits in the corner of my basement so the junction box will on the side of the wall that faces my unfinished laundry room and won't be visible from inside the bathroom. You did give an idea for another possible place though. I could nail the box to one of the floor joists up above and it would probably look better since there are several electrical boxes up there already.

Thank You

Old 11-20-08, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 297 Posts
Ahoy from MN!

This bathroom basically sits in the corner of my basement so the junction box will on the side of the wall that faces my unfinished laundry room and won't be visible from inside the bathroom.
This sounds like an easy fix.

You did give an idea for another possible place though. I could nail the box to one of the floor joists up above and it would probably look better since there are several electrical boxes up there already.
The boxes must remain accessible.

You could also find where the conduit goes and pull out the old wires, extend the conduit with new flex, and re-pull the wires (with a ground). Or you could pull out the wires and use it to pull some new romex to your new box. Be sure to bush the end of the short conduit with a fitting. I agree, a blank plate on the wall or ceiling will look bad.

Old 11-20-08, 08:18 PM
A
Just wondering if you are referring to the same thing I am thinking ... and if I have this right:

Type AC (aka BX, 16 AWG aluminum bonding wire)

Type MC (With separate ground wire)

Flexible Metal Conduit Type RW (AKA Greenfield or Flex, you pull your own wire into the shell)

Flex can only be used as a ground under specific circumstances, though those circumstances can be fairly common. This requires specific connectors rated for grounding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: