Old Wiring

Old 11-20-08, 07:10 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Wiring

I'm doing a basement remodel and have a light at the end of a run. The light is operated by a pull chain. I would like to remove it. Can I cap the wires and conceal them in a box? (They would still be live). I believe the NEC says boxes must be accessible, but I'm wondering if there is an exception in this case since it's not really a splice, it's a dead end.

Old 11-20-08, 07:19 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No exception here. Find the box these wires come from and disconnect them there. Should not be hard at all.

Old 11-20-08, 07:48 AM
N
Is there a trick for doing that?

Old 11-20-08, 08:12 AM
T
Is the basement currently unfinished? Walls and ceilings exposed. If so, start at the light and follow the cable back to where it gets power.

Old 11-20-08, 08:19 AM
N
The wires run to a finished part of the house so I can't be certain where they run to. Before I cut any wires (It's in flexible conduit and likely sodered at the connection point) I want to be certain I'm cutting the right one. I know I can isolate the circuit by cutting the power, but I'm not sure how to tell where the wire goes.

Old 11-20-08, 01:10 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Wires have not been routinely soldered for over 60years What makes you think the wires might be soldered? To find it you would need to open other boxes on the same circuit. Best guess is to start with the box closest to the light and work out from there. You would have to disconnect the wires in the box and see if the light still works. While disconnected check to see which is hot. Reconnect the hot only and see if the light works. If it does not then you know one of the disconnected set of wires is to the light. You can probably do this by only disconnecting black or red wires.

Old 11-20-08, 01:21 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 284 Posts
I figure you probably wanted to drywall over the box, and as stated, that's a no no. But, you could put a cover on it and paint it the same color as the wall/ceiling. Or if there's some slack in the wire, you could maybe move it a few feet so it's less obtrusive with the cover plate.

Of course, you know how you're finishing the basement and the aesthetics that you want/need.

Hope this helps at least a bit.

Old 11-20-08, 10:00 PM
N
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Old 11-20-08, 10:04 PM
N
What is the point? Why is it an issue to not have access to the end of a run? It's not dangerous is it?

As I started looking closer to the part of the basement I ripped out I see that someone at some point had buried a few junction boxes with no access during a previous remodel.

Old 11-21-08, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
Just because someone else did not follow proper methods regarding junction boxes does not make it right. Buried boxes create problems when trying to troubleshoot problems.

Do it correctly and leave the box accessible.

Old 11-21-08, 07:09 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The procedure Ray gave you is simple and quick and easy. It will take less time and effort to do this correctly and safely than it would to continue this discussion. Let's not overcomplicate this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: