Heated wire...help my boyscout

Old 11-21-08, 12:07 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heated wire...help my boyscout

Ok, I hope you guys/gals can help. My son is in the scouts and for some odd reason is interested in starting a worm farm. The problem is that it's pretty cold where I live. What I'd like to do is to run a heated wire from a standard 120V household socket to under the worm bed. I know a little bit about resistance but have not been able to figure it out. I would prefer not to have to spend an arm and a leg on Nichrome wire but if that's all I can use it's ok. I'm not electrically inclined so the simpler the better. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-21-08, 12:12 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I suggest you buy a commercially available product. It will certainly be much safer and probably also cheaper. Something designed to for a cat or a lizard would probably work well. Visit a pet store.

I don't really see any reasonable way of doing this project safely as you have outlined it.

Old 11-21-08, 01:00 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
I'd recommend a lizard heater from a pet shop. These have built-in safety mechanisms to prevent overheating and fire.

Old 11-21-08, 01:01 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd do a web search for work farms and see what they are offering, then brainstorm and do it cheeper. Here's an example, if you use a compost you would be amazed how hot they stay in the winter.

Worm Bins | Worm Wigwam | Can-O-Worms Wormbin | Acme Worm Farm

BSA Troop 75 Bellbrook, Ohio

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: