GFCI installation question

Old 11-25-08, 10:29 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI installation question

My garage, laundry room and half bath are on the same 15 amp circuit (the washing machine is on a separate 20 amp circuit). The garage has 2 wall outlets and one ceiling outlet (for the opener), the laundry room has 3 wall outlets, there is one outside outlet and one outlet in the half bath.

I recently installed GFCI outlets in my full baths so I know from the instructions that a GFCI outlet wired correctly will protect all the outlets that are "downstream" of it. Is there an easy way to find the outlet that is connected directly to the service entrance?

I removed the faceplate on the two garage outlets and the two laundry room outlets on the same wall. All four had wires connected to each screw, i.e., two hot and two neutral (plus ground). Is it just trial and error by disconnecting one pair of wires at a time to determine which outlet goes directly to the breaker? Or maybe it would just be easier to install GFCI outlets in the 2 garage wall outlets.

Last edited by lmacmil; 11-25-08 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-08, 11:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Pretty much trial and error. However, I would start looking to the receptacles closest to the panel and go from there.

You could also just wire to the LINE terminals and install a GFI at each spot you want one. Couple more dollars but does make it easier to find the tripped one.

The exterior receptacle must be GFI'd.

Old 11-25-08, 11:10 AM
T
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
My garage, laundry room and half bath are on the same 15 amp circuit (the washing machine is on a separate 20 amp circuit). The garage has 2 wall outlets and one ceiling outlet (for the opener), the laundry room has 3 wall outlets, there is one outside outlet and one outlet in the half bath.
Does that 15 amp breaker ever trip?

I recently installed GFCI outlets in my full baths so I know from the instructions that a GFCI outlet wired correctly will protect all the outlets that are "downstream" of it. Is there an easy way to find the outlet that is connected directly to the service entrance?
Do you mean the service panel? Turn off the circuit breakers one at a time and check for voltage at the outlet. When you find the circuit breaker, note it on the panel directory. You'll need a voltage tester.

I removed the faceplate on the two garage outlets and the two laundry room outlets on the same wall. All four had wires connected to each screw, i.e., two hot and two neutral. Is it just trial and error by disconnecting one pair of wires at a time to determine which outlet goes directly to the breaker? Or maybe it would just be easier to install GFCI outlets in the 2 garage wall outlets.
No grounding wire is connected to the receptacles?

See my first paragraph. Don't disconnect anything unless you have to.

Old 11-25-08, 11:38 AM
L
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Pretty much trial and error. However, I would start looking to the receptacles closest to the panel and go from there.

The exterior receptacle must be GFI'd.
House was built in 1970. Nothing is GFI'd which is why I'm doing conversions now (after 20 years) .

Old 11-25-08, 11:44 AM
L
Originally Posted by thinman View Post
Does that 15 amp breaker ever trip?

No grounding wire is connected to the receptacles?
It hasn't tripped in 22 years we've been in the house. And yes, each outlet has a ground wire connected.

When we had a new panel put in a couple years ago I went thru the entire thing and labeled every breaker, including the one that apparently has nothing attached to it (I turned it off a year ago and have yet to find an outlet or light not working).