kicking breaker

Old 11-27-08, 07:40 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
kicking breaker

I have several places on 1 breaker, kicthen plug ins,dishwasher, bedroom plug ins, when we run the micro wave in the kicthen, and tv and lighting in bedroom the breaker kicks, my question is the breaker is a 15amp, if I change to an 20amp breaker will this help with the overload of the breaker, or do /i need to rewire 1 of the rooms on a different breaker

Old 11-27-08, 08:32 AM
S
I think you should get that room rewired. That 15amp breaker more than likely only has #14 wire going to it. That is just too much stuff on the small of a circuit.

Adding a larger breaker could create a fire hazard by over loading the wire in the circuit. Wires and breakers or put together to handle a certain amp range. Changing just part of the circuit is like this.

If you put a V8 motor on a go cart. You have the power, but it still wont carry a large load.

Old 11-27-08, 04:17 PM
G
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
I agree with the Street_Rod! From what you describe, that ckt is way overloaded.

Ideally, you need three ckts - one 15-A for the bedroom (on an AFCI), one 20-A (on a GFCI) for the kitchen receptacles, and one 20-A for the microwave and dishwasher. What you have is bad.
Doug

Old 11-27-08, 04:23 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
the breaker is a 15amp, if I change to an 20amp breaker will this help with the overload of the breaker
If you change the breaker, the most likely thing that will happen is that you will start a fire.

Old 11-28-08, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 660 Upvotes on 560 Posts
Just to put it one step further, it is a code violation to put #14 wire on a 20 amp breaker. Aka, you may not do it!

Old 11-28-08, 05:06 PM
F
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
DO NOT INCREASE BREAKER SIZE OR OVERLOAD A CIRCUIT!!!!
YOU WILL START A FIRE AND BURN DOWN YOUR HOUSE IF YOU DO!!!!

HowStuffWorks "How many things can you plug into an electrical outlet before it catches fire?"

Old 11-28-08, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 660 Upvotes on 560 Posts
There are a few things that they didn't mention in that article.

The circuit breaker or fuse protects the wire from over heating due to overload or short circuit. That fuse or breaker is sized according to the size of wire it is protecting accost the entire circuit. 15 amp for #14 wire. 20 amp for #12. (I could start tossing out code references but why confuse.)

Old 11-28-08, 11:44 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Foreman.,

I Think it will be wise idea start to make the plans to run new circuits to split it up you have too much on that circuit and you will have to address it one way or other.

To run new circuit somecase it pretty easy to get to it and some are not but there are few tricks to get in there.

Also how much room you have left in the breaker box ?

If have room leftover then you can get new breaker installed and run new circuits as need to get this corrected.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: