Adding a new light and switch for closet

Old 11-29-08, 03:21 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a new light and switch for closet

My bathroom and master bedroom closet share an adjoining wall. I am installing a lighted medicine cabinet in the bathroom and since i am tearing into the wall i am also installing a light and switch for the closet. The bathroom has a wall light mounted above the sink whose junction box is where i want to tap off the power for the new closet light and switch.

I have now cut out the back of the closet and enlarged the bathroom medicine cabinet cutout. I have a better view and idea of the wiring.

The current bathroom above sink light has a junction box which has in addition to the wired in sink light, a thick black wire, A white (2 wire) going up to the ceiling and i am fairly sure it goes to the master bedroom ceiling light - I traced it in that direction and another white (2 wire?) going to the outside house wall.

I havent cracked the junction box yet - not wanting to pull the sink light until i have to. But am i likely correct in assuming the thick black wire is the power, and the other two white wires are takeoffs?

My goal is to wire in another switch and light for the closet. I am looking for confirmation that i can connect the new light and switch to the power in the junction box. If i can, then is the switch and light wired in serial? I plan on taking power off the junction box to the light and then to the switch.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Dave, first check to see if power enters the light fixture first. Sometimes power is originated at the switch, since you most likely have a power source next to the switch.

Old 11-29-08, 09:07 AM
D
wow

didnt even think of that! i originaly thought there were only 2 wires to that junction box so i assumed that one was power in - i will figure have to figure out how to check that.

Dave

Old 11-29-08, 10:14 AM
F
Chandler have right idea about the power source some case it will come to the cabent luminaire at first then have a switch loop go there.

However with most relitve modern set up the power source do go to the switch box first.

If you have nonconcat voltage tester you can able tell which one is live { Hot } and netural by test it and that pair { both black and white conductor } is line.

If the line is feeded with other rooms then you can able use it but before you get too far make sure you make a map layout to see what else is on that circuit.

Now let get into closet for a min There is a spefic code requirement with the luminaires the cloth closet luminaire must be enclosed no bare bulb expect flourscent can be bare and all the luminaires have to be at least 12 inch away from the shelfing.

Merci,Marc

Old 11-29-08, 11:01 AM
D
Light

Ok Ok! I get it guys! LOL - it will be a flourescent fixture - I promise!

I am now taking off the power from the outlet in the same adjoining wall. Can anyone comment on my wiring plan?

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachm...g-diagrahm.jpg

Old 11-29-08, 11:52 AM
J
There's always a catch, isn't there?

Taking power from the outlet is probably not code-compliant. You had the right idea in the first place.

Old 11-29-08, 11:57 AM
D
Right Idea?

So John, is it likely that there is power to the junction box after all considering the wiring there? It has a thick black wire and two white wires. When i say wire i mean cables with multiple wires inside.

dave

Old 11-29-08, 12:00 PM
D
Pic

This is a link to a real pic of the junction box i would need to tap into.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachm...nction-box.jpg

Old 11-29-08, 12:16 PM
J
Only way to tell is to open up the box and look, but I'm guessing that there is power there (if not, there wouldn't be so many cables entering).

It is better to use the word "cable" when you mean a cable rather than to use the word "wire" and then explain that you really mean a cable.

Old 11-29-08, 07:39 PM
D
Inside the box...

here is the link to the inside of the box....

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachm...inside-box.jpg

is it as simple as adding my black and white from the light to the gang of black and gang of white?

Thanks

Dave

Old 11-29-08, 09:28 PM
J
I cannot really see anything clearly from the picture.

All you really need to do is find some black/white pair within that box that registers 120 volts regardless of the position of any of the switches in the area.

Old 11-29-08, 09:35 PM
D
Success

Ok, i was right - the black and white gangs were my power leads and i connected my light/switch to them. Flipped the switch and all is exactly as i wanted.

thanks to everyone for there help

Dave