Outside outlets

Old 11-30-08, 01:54 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside outlets

I want to run some conduit under me eaves for installing some outlets at specific intervals for plugging in Christmas lights. Not sure what the best material would be for this project....emt, pvc, flex conduit?

I like the idea of the flex, but it is expensive these days, but I'm not sure if it can be installed outside in the elements. Most of it will be up and under the eaves, and will be protected to some degree. The only part that would be completely exposed would be the run up the side of the house (in the corner by the chimney)to the eaves.

I guess the pvc would be the only watertight option, other than waterproof conduit, which is really expensive. I'm probably looking at a run of about 100 feet by the time I get done with it, with maybe 6 to 8 boxes in line. Of course, they wouldn't all have something plugged into them at the same time.

Is this practical, or is not a good idea?

Thanks...Randy

I should specify that my eaves are not closed...there is no soffit, and the boxes and conduit will have to be surface mounted. Of course, I intend to use boxes rated for wet locations, with one GFCI feeding the rest downstream. I will probably place the GFCI outlet in the garage before the run exits through the wall. Oh, and it will be a dedicated 20A circuit, #12 wire.

Last edited by rcash54; 11-30-08 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-30-08, 04:58 AM
J
Outlets and things plugged into them do not need to be GFCI protected, if they are out of normal reach. Still not a bad idea to use GFCI protection, but dampness and moisture can cause tripping.

Old 11-30-08, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Under your eves would only be a damp location so flex would be OK with THWN wire. You have a few options.
EMT would look the best IMO but can be challenging to work with if you have never done it before. Just be sure to use compression fittings which are water tight (well, maybe resistant).
PVC would be fairly easy to work with but if you install it now, this summer it will look wavy due to expansion. Be sure to strap it every 3'.
You could also use MC cable. It would be very easy. You could tuck it to help hide it. It is small so may be less noticeable. You can get it a most Big box stores.

Old 11-30-08, 11:43 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Outlets and things plugged into them do not need to be GFCI protected, if they are out of normal reach.
Not true. GFCI is required.

Use PVC conduit (not water pipe), but because it is easy to work with and not because it is waterproof. Even if water doesn't get in, air does, and air contains water that condenses. So you still need waterproof wire (e.g., THHN/THWN or UF-B).

Old 11-30-08, 03:31 PM
R
I believe I will go with the pvc as John suggested for the same reasons...easy to work with, plus it will be inexpensive.

Thanks guys. Your suggestions have been helpful.

Randy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: