Just want to confirm... (subpanel)


Old 12-01-08, 04:51 PM
TomZ1's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 174
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just want to confirm... (subpanel)

...my understanding.

Subpanel in a separate building (shed). If it has more than 6 circuits it needs to have a disconnecting means.

I take this to mean a sub with more than 6 circuits (throws) would actually have to be a main breaker panel rather than a main lug panel.


Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-08, 06:23 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 13,128
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts

You can back feed a breaker rather then use the main lugs. Or you can buy a separate disconnect and run from the disconnect to the panel.
Many times a main breaker panels are a better value than a main lug anyway. It doesn't matter if you put in a 100 amp main breaker when your are feeding it with say, a 60 amp feed. As long as you protect the feeders with the correct sized breaker, the 100 amp is acting as just a disconnect.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: