Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

HELP! How do you wire a 3 wire tanning bed to a 4 prong 220 receptacle

Old 12-01-08, 11:18 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I bought a used tanning bed. The previous owner had it set up to plug into dryer outlet. Her outlet was 3 prong and mine is 4. I went and bought a 4 prong adapter for cord but theres only 3 wires (black,white, green) So I'm assuming the black and white are power leads while the green is ground. Would I connect the black from the 3 wire cord to the black of the 4 prong receptacle, the white (cord) to the red (rec)and the green (cord) to the white (rec)?

I thought about buying a 4 wire cord, but then my problem would be at the other end having a 4 wire cord for a 3 prong transformer box. Although that would easier since I've found info how to fix that (white and green together) but I would have to buy more wire.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-08, 04:29 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is the tanning bed really 240v or is it 120/240v? What does the name plate say? If it is really only 240v you only need two hots and a ground. You do not use/connect the neutral. What is the amperage or wattage of the bed?

Old 12-02-08, 06:46 AM
B
If you are not totally sure of what you are doing, I would suggest you get an electrician to install the proper outlet for this (assuming the bed has the proper plug).

I've seen some nasty problems with things like this before where a hot wire was accidentally wired to a ground connection and caused some very expensive damage.

Old 12-02-08, 03:34 PM
L
the person i bought it from had an electrician make her the wire and plug so she could plug it into her dryer receptacle. thats all im trying to do too. But her dryer receptacle was 3 prong and mine is 4. I bought the correct 4 prong end to put on the cord i just wanna make sure i hook it up correctly. I'm just converting from a 3 prong to a 4 prong and only have 3 wires to do so.

I dont want to pay for an electrician until I figure out the best placement for the bed and whether or not its worth keeping. And then I will pay him to put it on its own circuit so I dont have to pull the dryer to plug it in.

They have conversions for 4 prong dryers to 3 prong outlets. So I'm assuming they have one for 3 to 4. I guess I'll just hook it up and see. I was told it would just pop the breaker if incorrect.

Old 12-02-08, 03:46 PM
L
well i plugged her in...all is well...i did it right...thanks for advice lol

Old 12-03-08, 01:22 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
What is the amperage rating of the tanning bed? Just because it works does not necessarily mean it's safe plugged into the dryer receptacle.