New DIYer replacing ceiling light fixture with track

Old 12-04-08, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New DIYer replacing ceiling light fixture with track

Hello all thanks for your time. I'm a relatively new homeowner and I'm trying to install a track light in the basement, replacing an existing ceiling fixture. Not very handy, but trying to change that with practical experience.

I'm pretty cautious when it comes to safety. I believe that by not ever going up on my roof, for example, I reduce to zero the probability of my falling off it.

Anyway I have some pics with explanations of the process of swapping out this light fixture.

Picasa Web Albums - LSmith - Lighting Fixt...

Some things I'd like to point out:

- I'm in Iowa
- I turned off the circuit powering this light before removing it, and it remains off now
- I put the wire nuts back on the exposed wires

My questions are:

1.) Do I need to replace the ceiling fixture box? The previous fixture doesn't have a ground wire, but the track light does. Also, the track light mounting plate thing appears to be a different size, so I don't know how it physically attaches.

2.) Does the track light require a box with a different rating or something?

I hope these questions aren't annoying, as you can see I'm new to this. I just want to do it correctly and safely so I thought I'd consult the like-minded.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-08, 02:05 PM
wrong thread

Moderator, I just found another thread where I should have posted this more appropriately. Is it possible to move it there? Sorry.

Old 12-04-08, 02:09 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Diggery View Post
Moderator, I just found another thread where I should have posted this more appropriately. Is it possible to move it there? Sorry.
You should do as you did, start a thread. Posting in an old thread would be bad.

I see your problem. Are the holes in the ceiling box 3" apart? If so are there no holes 3" apart. on the track light plate? I'm thinking no from what I see. Usually though an adepter plate is included with the light. If it wasn't you should get one.

I am a bit worried if the box fits flush with the ceiling. Also worried about the box fill. Box almost looks to small for the number of wires.

Is it cable or metal flex conduit into the box? If the later you ground the light to the box. If this is cloth covered cable it may have a ground wire connected externally to the box. A check between the hot and box with a test light or analog multimeter will tell you this. Do nit use a non-contact tester or digital multimeter. You may be able to install ungrounded.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-04-08 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-04-08, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
You should do as you did, start a thread. Posting in an old thread would be bad.
Forgive me, wrong wording. I meant forum, not thread. There's a forum for light fixtures, etc., and I guess that's probably more appropriate. I'm looking through it right now.