Changing a 110 Dayton motor to 220?

Old 12-07-08, 02:48 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing a 110 Dayton motor to 220?

Hello Gentlemen,
name's Steven and I'm new here.
I have a very simple question for you all. How does one flip a motor over to 220 volts? It's a 2hp Dayton motor on a Speedaire
air compressor. Model #4B227E. I can't find a wiring diagram for it anywhere. I am only dealing with five wires one white and one brown coming out of the motor, and the three from the power cord, black white and green (ground), obviously. But which bloody wires go where? ya only get one chance to get this right! Please help!
Steven

Old 12-07-08, 07:55 AM
B
It might not be possible unless it is a dual voltage motor. Can you find any "Data tags" on the motor or compressor that indicate dual voltage?

Does your compressor have the same data plate as the one below? If it does then I am fairly sure that it is a single voltage motor and can not be changed.

I

Last edited by Buzz; 12-07-08 at 08:01 AM. Reason: To add image
Old 12-07-08, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 320 Posts
Welcome from another Minnesotan!

Speedaire is a "brand" of Grainger. Pneumatics & Hydraulics > Air Compressors and Vacuum Pumps > Portable Electric Air Compressors > Compressor,Air,2.0 HP : Grainger Industrial Supply According to the link your motor is 120/240volt
You can call them or stop by an office (there is one in Bloomington, MN) and I'm sure they can give you a wiring diagram.

What model is the Dayton motor?

Old 12-07-08, 11:53 AM
B
one white and one brown coming out of the motor
If these are the only wires that you have access to at the motor then it is not possible to change it to the higher voltage, Most Single Phase Dual Voltage Nema Motors will have six or eight leads either on a small terminal board or you will find these wires under the plate where the connections are made or in a small junction box. If you find these wires I can provide the info on how to connect them, just post back and let us know.

Old 12-07-08, 01:09 PM
S
changing a 110 Dayton motor to 220

wow, thanks guys. Buzz, it sounds like you know your stuff. I quess I gave the model number of the whole compressor itself. But it positively is a dual voltage motor, says so right on the side. Yes, it has a terminal board right underneath the metal access plate with only five terminals in use. It's a white plastic piece about three inchs long, inch and three-quarters wide with two main bolts terminals, I guess coming though it. the top one is copper the bottom one is silver colored, beneath these and as part of these, under the nut, there two brass, very thin terminals to attach the leads, Jesus clips, we call 'em. You know all this but I'm just tring to give you a mental picture. So, ya got two bolts which I believe is where the hot and the return go, and then the other two wires coming out of the motor from behind the plastic. Isn't it as easy as switching the white and brown leads? Two wires and I'm back in business? And on the white plastis plate there are numbers embossed right into the plastic. I believe there are seven, six for sure. There is a little diagram on the side of the motor which might as well be in Martian to me. Ah, you say, now we're getting somewhere. The left one is for low volts the right one is for high volts. It says so. It depicts a switch according to my bother, duh right?, he's the smart one. The only thing it shows, however, is to move the brown lead from #2 to #6(plastic pocket) and the white lead to #2, if I recall, I'm not at the shop right now. Which has to be the leads from the motor. fine, what about the cord, the usual black, white and green? Ground can only go one place, that leaves two wires. It also states that this motor draws 15 amps at 110 and 7.5 at 220, which is the whole reason for doing this, I don't have enough 110 power. The answer lies in that diagram on the side of the motor, but I can't read the damn thing. Please tell me this helps. S

Old 12-07-08, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 320 Posts
If you could take a picture of the diagram and post it, that would be a HUGE help.
On a side note, if you don't have enough power for 110 volts how are you going to get 220?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: