Conduit cleaning

Old 12-08-08, 11:33 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Conduit cleaning

I'm about ready to start installing EMT in my attic for a wiring project.
Several of the 1/2" through 1" sticks I plan to use have been stored outdoors. I know - not a real good idea.
I pulled a small rag through each and discovered what appeared to be rust, dirt, and a couple of bugs.
What would be a good way to clean and maybe rustproof the ID? I suspect that a petroleum based cleaner/coater is probably not good due to the possible deterioration of the THWN insulation.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Old 12-08-08, 01:00 PM
G
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
A concern is that any corrosion inside the EMT will make wire pulling difficult and possibly damage the conductors.

You could use approved wire-pulling lubricant. GB, for example, makes several kinds.
Doug

Old 12-08-08, 02:19 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by hondavan View Post
I pulled a small rag through each and discovered what appeared to be rust, dirt, and a couple of bugs.
You could wash it out with the garden hose then pull the rag through. A compressed air blow gun works well too.

I suspect that a petroleum based cleaner/coater is probably not good due to the possible deterioration of the THWN insulation.
Use an approve wire lubricant; available in the electrical aisle.

Old 12-08-08, 04:28 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Conduit cleaning

Thanks for the quick replies.
I always use approved lube when pulling, but I was thinking more in terms of rust removal and prevention.
After a GOOD cleaning, perhaps a coating of lube prior to installation will keep the rust at bay.
However, is it just me or does the yellow lube tend to get a bit gummy after awhile?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: