Electrical box for light switch not big enough...

Old 12-09-08, 01:25 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical box for light switch not big enough...

I've added some recessed lights to some rooms, and because of this, now there are some extra wires that need to be connected to the wall switch.

The problem is, I can't seem to find a switch box that is big enough so that all the wires fit nicely inside. It has been very frustrating trying to cram all the wires inside, and hook it up to the switch. And it didn't seem too safe with all the wires all jammed in there anyway.

The only solution I've come up with so far is connecting all the wires outside the box with wire twists, and then route a pigtail into the box.

Everything works. But I'm just wondering if this is safe or not. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-09-08, 01:39 PM
A
Without seeing your situation we cannot tell what size you have tried or what your framing allows. Is this new work or remodeling? How many wires? What AWG? How many switches?

WIth that in mind, the largest 1-gang you will find is a 4-11/16 square box. With this box you can add a 1-gang mud ring in various depths from flat to probably 2". You will not find the less common mud rings at the big box but a large electrical supply house will have them.

As you have probably realized, all cables and wires must terminate inside a box. You cannot have wire nuts outside the box.

Old 12-09-08, 01:44 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The only solution I've come up with so far is connecting all the wires outside the box with wire twists, and then route a pigtail into the box.

Everything works. But I'm just wondering if this is safe or not.
This is a fire hazard and is not permitted.

When installing several lights on one switch only one or two cables from one light is brought to the switch. Call that light "A". From "A" a single cable is run to light "B". From "B" to "C" and so forth.

Since you already have the lights run replace your single gang box with a double gang old work box. Less attractive but you could leave the existing switch box and install a second box with a blank cover plate for the connections and run two wires (cable) to the switch box.

Old 12-10-08, 05:12 PM
S
I would put in a 2 gang box and 2 switches, then you would have more room and more control over which lights are on or off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: